Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 01, 2012

The Ultimate Maritime Trip Part 4: The Fremantle Doctor and High St.

So here I am, back again with part 4 of the Ultimate Maritime Trip series!  I think I'll probably have 5 or 6 parts eventually.  Anyway, today's focus is on the good ol' Fremantle Doctor, the Fishing Boat Harbours and a walk down High Street.

But first - let's start off from Bathers Beach.  Bather's Beach is actually very near the fishing boat harbours, and when my friend dropped me off at the harbour, I actually walked all the way back!  I did a post on the fishing boat harbours here.  That trip was done before a cold front swept through Perth and dumped some heavy rain and hail on us.  I heard Perth's rainy again...but I can't escape the rain in Singapore either.




The Ultimate Maritime Trip was done over 3 to 4 days, and I chose the weekend before I left Perth to do so.  I was really fortunate to be blessed with good weather...and now I'm so brown and happy!  Had good Vitamin D exposure!  Being cooped up like a hermit during exam season kind of made me go nuts, and when I had the opportunity to go out, I did this Maritime Trip.

My first stop - the Fishing Boat Harbours.






Parts of Fremantle could be seen from where I was - and these included the main port, the customs building and the Maritime Museum.







This was an awesome day to take out my polarising filter.  And I really love the effect it created!

Anyway Fremantle was really, really quiet that day, and there wasn't anyone sailing around.  All the boats were parked, and I didn't even see people around!  In fact I was the only one at the fishing boat harbour.  I guess it's because everyone's still out at work...or they're not used to the hot weather.  30 degrees is considered hot for some, but it's normal for me!










I've been to most parts of Fremantle, but I haven't been to the area across the harbours - also known as the Esplanade.  Maybe I should go there someday!  I'd like to go on the Ferris wheel on the Esplanade, but I heard it's expensive.  It seems like I can get good views of Fremantle and the ocean from there.






Paid a visit to the Fremantle Doctor sculpture.  It was "singing" as usual, and it nearly blew my eardrums!  Despite the temperature being 30 degrees, the wind was strong that day.  During hot summer days, this breeze really brings relief to people in Fremantle - and hence it's called the Fremantle Doctor.  It's actually a form of sea breeze.













Headed back to Bather's Beach, and I just couldn't resist taking a few more shots!








To get back to the train station, I had to get away from the beach, onto High Street.  Of course, this wasn't the only route to the train station, but I felt like taking it, rather than taking the bus or walk down a longer way.

High Street's retained a lot of its glamour since the 1800s-1900s.  There're shops around, and these shops are really classy!  Some art galleries are scattered around High Street too, and High Street is actually part of one of the tourist trails in Fremantle.









De-toured here and there, and ended up on Pakenham Street.  I haven't really figured out what this building is for, but it seems as if it's been converted to a backpackers' hostel.  Lots of buildings in Fremantle have been restored, and there're a few backpackers' hostels around, including one on High Street.








Back on the intersection between High Street and Pakenham Street...

And then I walked around for a bit, taking pictures of the beautiful buildings.  I hardly see such buildings in Singapore - the climate is really different here in Singapore, and the architecture of the buildings are kind of different.







And caught a glimpse of the famous Bar Orient.  There weren't many people around then.  I always pass by the Bar Orient on my way to the Roundhouse, and I never get tired of it.  Seriously - buildings on High Street are a work of art!






Looking down High Street, towards the Roundhouse.  Went there around 2 to 3 times and passed by it countless times.  Read more about my Roundhouse posts here and here.  I have a less detailed post about the Roundhouse here.  For some reason I don't get tired of going to the Roundhouse, and I love High Street so much that I always go through it in order to get to the Roundhouse.

Speaking of High Street, I got a Julie Andrews biography from one of the bookshops!  I came at the right timing - as there were Mary Poppins books on display - the original ones by P.T. Travers!  I've seen the movie but haven't read the Mary Poppins books yet.  I think P.T. Travers is just amazing.  Mary Poppins is a really major icon in Disney, and in the film industry in general.  And guess what?  Dame Julie Andrews won an Oscar for her superb performance in Walt Disney's Mary Poppins (1964)!  The film itself also garnered many other awards, and was a massive hit...even now.









Decided to zoom in a bit more on the Roundhouse.

Although it looked pretty plain compared to the rest of the buildings along High Street, the Roundhouse is still a major historical icon.  In fact I see a lot of people heading to the Roundhouse along High Street.  It's open 7 days a week and is really easy to get to.

Here's the Roundhouse - with the major buildings in High Street flanking it.






The end of High Street.  The building on the left houses a small cafe, and I've been there once.  Food's pretty good!  It's a good way to relax before going to the Roundhouse and the Whaler's tunnel.




While walking away from the Roundhouse, I spotted this guy on a bike, and he waved!




Old hotel - since converted into one of the buildings for Notre Dame University.  It's a very prominent hotel on the intersection of High Street and Cliff Street.

Speaking of Cliff Street - it's also another major heritage landmark.  Cargo used to be loaded off the jetty (at Bather's Beach) and sent down Cliff Street.  High Street, Cliff Street and a few other streets form Fremantle's West End, and are flanked by many restored buildings from the 1800s.





Few more miscellaneous shots before I left.  I was standing outside Ristorante Villa Roma (I think that's the full name of the restaurant!) - where I had dinner once.  That was also the only time I got to take night shots of Fremantle.  It's in a previous series - and here's the post!  Some of the buildings were the same ones I featured in that post.  Of course, I also did other Fremantle posts...and these all feature High Street too.








I was totally famished then, and couldn't really sustain till I got back to my flat.  So I had dinner at La Porchetta.  Finished every single bit of my food, then drank at least 2 glasses of water at one go.  So I went from extremely hungry to extremely full.  But later on in the night - I was hungry again.





The evening light was pretty good that day, so I took some pics of the Cappuccino Strip as I waited for my bus.  The initial plan was to take the bus from the railway station...but because I was at La Porchetta, I detoured to the Cappuccino Strip instead.





And that's it for part 4!  Do stay tuned for Part 5, which will focus on O'Connor's Landing...and if it doesn't get too long - the Welcome Walls.