Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 14, 2014

Paris Part 6: Tour Eiffel



WHOA...it's been quite a rough two weeks...I've been doing lots and lots of conceptualising, typing, drafting etc etc etc...so much work to do! I finally managed to find some time to update this little space, after editing a draft...and for today, we'll be focusing on the one and only Eiffel Tower!!

Ah yes. Here it is - just as I was walking towards the tower. The Eiffel Tower is the most famous landmark in Paris - how not to miss it? No matter what, I HAD to climb the Eiffel Tower. And by climb, I mean it. I literally climbed 600+ steps UP the Eiffel Tower...and that's just the ascend. Add another 600+ steps for the descend. On that day itself I must have climbed 2000+ steps (including the Arc de Triomphe steps...). LIKE A BOSS!!!!




Bought the ticket...and began the ascend up to the first deck! Challenge totally accepted. I'm so glad I go for zumba faithfully - twice a week (for the past one and a half years now!). Zumba really works magic - my stamina is so much better, I feel so much fitter and of course, I'm slimmer and happier. And I'm so glad that I'm dancing again...




OK - back to the Eiffel Tower. Here we are, going up the stairs, and seeing some information about the Eiffel Tower along the way. Just a brief trivia - the Eiffel Tower was named after Gustave Eiffel and is made of iron lattice. It was actually nearly demolished because its design was so different from that of the surrounding Parisian buildings (like Les Invalides and the other historical landmarks...). But fortunately it was retained! And now it's such a major icon!





When we were in Paris, it was tennis season! I think it was the French Open...and so there was a giant tennis ball hanging from the Eiffel Tower...check out the winding staircase to the right of the tennis ball! Oh yes - when I took this pic, I was right outside the bar on the first floor. 





View of the city from the first floor was actually pretty good! So I spent some time taking some pics...





Sacre Coeur was so prominent - as always. So I zoomed in...I'd love to go back to Montmartre someday.






And who could ever forget the gorgeous gold dome of Les Invalides?!





Ah yes - here's the garden below the Eiffel Tower. This area (where the Eiffel Tower is situated) is called Champ de Mars. Look how beautiful the square-shaped trees and cone-shaped shrubs are! I just couldn't resist zooming in to take a closer look at these lovely patterns.










The view got EVEN BETTER after I climbed up to the second floor - and highest accessible deck. We got a really good view of the Seine, and of course, the city. Check out how uniform the building heights are! All these buildings are no taller than 6 storeys...except for some of the newer ones. Best part - each building has its unique facade...and it was so fascinating. Even the walk to the Eiffel Tower was so fascinating...












After taking lots of pics and buying some souvenirs, it was time to descend. This time, I decided to take pics of the intricate iron lattice.

We were literally climbing in OPEN AIR. And so it got quite dizzying by the time we were halfway between the first and second decks. Check this out - exposed to the elements, protected only by the iron lattice...and even the stairs shook a little with every step we took. Of course, it was very sturdy...but it got a little scary sometimes. Overall - it was so worth it!! I'll NEVER regret doing this epic climb up/down the Eiffel Tower. I'm actually glad I didn't take the elevator! :)








The intricate iron lattice in its full glory. I was still quite high up when I took these pics, and so I was really, really, really cautious about my camera.










Oh yes. The entrance where we began our ascend and ended our descend. Have to take a pic of it for memento!




The names of the people who contributed to the construction of the Eiffel Tower, just above the majestic arches. I had to zoom in to take a closer look.




Took a walk around the park below Eiffel Tower also - and I'm still mind-blown over how perfect the trees looked. They looked so uniform from the Eiffel Tower...now on ground level, they looked so straight. And so beautiful.





And this is why we call Paris the City of Love. People were chilling out (some cuddling intimately) on the green green grass...enjoying the view of the beautiful Eiffel Tower in the background. Lots of love in the air!








Right at the end of the gardens - the Ecole Militaire, which houses military training facilities...and coincidentally, after taking this pic, I found myself walking in the direction of Les Invalides - another landmark that commemorated veterans in the French military.





Couldn't resist two more pics of the Eiffel Tower! So here we go!





More pics coming up soon! In the next post, I'll be focusing more on gardens and open spaces in Paris. Do stay tuned!