Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Dijon Part 5: The Main Streets of Dijon



WHOA...this has been yet another long week! Lots and lots of stuff to settle. And my camera's deprived of outdoor activities - I really need a day of all play (photo-taking) and no work! Right now it's all work and no play...no good...I ain't working towards my values (of wanting to go pro in photo-taking)...

Anyway that aside, today's focus will be on some of the street scenes in Dijon - mainly those of Rue de la Liberte, the major street (and shopping belt) running through the Dijon city centre, a long straight road connecting Darcy Square (where some of the main tram terminus are) to the Palais de Ducs du Bourgogne area. And this was the same road I walked along - every single day - to get to my conference venue.

In fact - from Day 1, I was already actively exploring the Dijon city centre! After checking in to the wonderful and cosy Hotel Le Jura (check out the lovely earthy tones in the lobby in the pic below!), we headed off after dropping our luggage...





And ended up at Darcy Square - an open area with lots of cafes and eateries, and a cinema. The famous Porte Guillaume Gate (formerly known as the Porte Conde gate) is situted here. The famous Grand Hotel Dijon la Cloche is just across the road, from Darcy Square, and I crossed the road specially to take a pic of it.




The Jardin Darcy - just opposite the Hotel - formerly a reservoir. It was designed in the 1800s by Henri Darcy, to supply fresh drinking water to the people of Dijon. Right now it's a very peaceful place for people to rest and chill out in. The monument at the back of the water feature was built by architect Emile Sagot.





Explored Darcy Square a little, and grabbed a quick bite (my usual hot choc of course - I learnt that hot choc was "Chocolat Chaud" in French on the first day)...before heading down Rue de la Liberte. Of course, I took a pic of the Porte Guillaume gate too.













One of the smaller streets behind the Darcy Square area, where I spotted a hat shop (Chapellerie Bruyas)...and a dude with a hat...standing in front of it! There were SO MANY hats on display...






The most striking feature of Rue de la Liberte - these colourful flags, hanging from the facade of almost every building. The ground floors of these buildings were mostly shops. I actually bought 2 tops from Jennyfer - one of the clothes shops along this street...and I love them very much! They were so affordable too! 










Gallerie Lafayette - the Dijon version. There's a massive one in Paris - which I didn't go to as I'm not a big fan of shopping (and I had other "priorities", like taking pics of the Avenue des Champs-Elysees and Opera Garnier)...




The half-timber house you see (which houses the Pharmacie du Miroir) is called the "House with Three Faces", and this was constructed in the 15th century. There're quite a number of these half-timber houses around Dijon - and they come in different colours.







The building just opposite the "House with Three Faces" was equally striking, and that was where I got the pic of the Rue de la Liberte sign (the very first pic for this post). Of course, some of the other buildings around it also deserved some attention...





Looking down half of Rue de la Liberte...and heading towards Place Francois-Rude - probably the place I photographed the most...and also the place I passed everyday on my way for the conference...




Here the square is - in its full glory. I couldn't resist posting even more pics of it despite having posted some pics in my first Dijon post...everytime I pass by, it looks so different (for some reason!). The square has got a carousel with lovely details, a shop selling Dijon specialities (including the famous Dijon mustard of course), and quite a number of restaurants offering al fresco dining. It was late spring/early summer, so there were quite a few people eating outside.





The Bareuzai statue, watching over the square.






Oh yes - I did go and have a closer look at the Dijon specialities, and took some pics. I had to feature a close-up of Dijon nonnette as it's my favourite Dijon speciality of all! It's so delicious...especially the one with cinnamon sugar (the original flavour). I still have some Dijon nonnette in my food cupboard here, and I just can't bear to even open it...because I know that if I do, I'll finish everything immediately and won't have anymore left for a long, long time.








Some of the street scenes in the vicinity of the Bareuzai statue. It rained the second day we were there...

  





Some of the fancy street signs not too far away. The streets weren't paved - they were made of cobblestones. So beautiful...and so unique.





The "Jacquemart" on the top of the Notre Dame church - this was taken in 1382 and mounted on the roof of the Church of Notre Dame. The "Jacquemart" was the first character to be mounted - he was 'married' to "Jaquette (Jacquelin)" in 1550 - and then he and "Jaquette" 'bore a son' ("Jaquet/Jacquelinet") in 1716, and a 'daughter' ("Jacquette/Jacquelinette") in 1881. Pretty cool! Oh - and for reference, I've included some pics of the Church of Notre Dame. I had to zoom in with my telephoto lens to spot the "Jacquemart".






Also spotted this beautiful detailling along the way, as I was walking past the Church of Notre Dame.




One day after my conference, I was really curious to find out more about some of the attractions near the Grand Theatre (where the conference was)...




And I was also intrigued by these buildings and the winding streets around, so I decided to follow one of them to take a look...








So as I walked...I realised that it led me to a very familiar place...the Palais de Ducs du Bourgogne area! Check this out...I took this pic just as I was walking through the tiny alleyway, and I took pics as I continued walking through...






And this is the other end of the small arch I just walked through, decorated with "trophies"...and of course, more pics of the Place de la Liberation...








In the next post, I'll be posting pics of more half-timber houses (a trademark of Dijon) and pics of some of the smaller streets! Right now I've to get back to work (and yes I'm aware it's already very late at night). Do stay tuned!