Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Kings Park

The Kings Park Wildflower Festival has well and truly commenced.  I've been going to Kings Park every weekend for the past 2-3 weeks, and there's always lots of people hanging around.  Going to Kings Park is certainly a good way to keep my mind from going berserk with all the stuff I'm facing now.  Nevertheless I enjoy working on my thesis topic as it's totally music-related.








I actually went to Kings Park for the first time in 16 years (or was it 8 years?  I can't remember).  The very first time I ever went to Kings Park was when I first came to Perth for holidays, when I was very young.  I think I was around 6 then - and obviously I can't remember details of that trip.  All I remember is going to Kings Park, Lake Monger Reserve, Augusta (where the famous lighthouse is, plus the caves), Albany, Margaret River, Pemberton (I remembered the motel was by the river), Fremantle, Burswood, Caversham Wildlife Park...and I think that's about it.  Now that I actually LIVE in Perth, I intend to explore the places I went to - with my camera of course!  So far Kings Park and Fremantle have been ticked off the list, I might see if I could get to Augusta, Albany, Margaret River and Pemberton someday.

Anyway back to Kings Park - I went when the wildflower festival was just about to commence.  And the flowers were still pretty small then...but that doesn't matter, they were still pretty.  

















The days are definitely getting longer now, but at the time I took these pics, it got dark at about 6pm.  I was at Kings Park at about 4 plus, and the shadows were getting longer and longer.  I usually take pictures in the early to late afternoon, and this was probably the first time I was taking pictures just as the sun was setting.  I probably will have less chances to do so as the days get longer.





The war memorial in Kings Park - which can be seen from the train - whenever I leave the city.




Kings Park overlooks the Swan River and the Kwinana Freeway.  This same freeway is the one I always travel on, in order to get to the city.  The view is absolutely gorgeous.  Oh and not to mention, whenever I take the train down the Kwinana Freeway, there're always good views of the river.










Went to the war memorial to have a closer look.  In subsequent trips I went to the other side of Kings Park, but will definitely go back to take more pics of this area again someday.

The good thing about going at this time - not many people around.  I was at Kings Park yesterday and intended to go to the war memorial, but there were lots and lots of people crowding around it.







The war memorial was perpetually peaceful, and had an eternal flame at the other end.









Views of the city, from the back of the war memorial.  This was one of the many lookouts available in Kings Park, and probably the most popular.

Got to enjoy the early sunset from here, before heading off for dinner.  It was actually raining earlier, but the skies cleared up by the time we went to Kings Park.




















A few more pictures of the war memorial before I left.










"Let silent contemplation be your offering".  That was the slogan on the eternal flame.  Silence - as a form of respect for those who sacrificed themselves in the war.






And as we were walking out, I passed the flower fields, and couldn't hesitate taking pictures of them.  The flowers are now wide open, and are just so gorgeous.





Driving down the tree-lined Fraser Avenue - the official entrance for Kings Park.  This place is also really beautiful.  I kinda envy those who live near Kings Park...they get to have excellent views of the city and the river everyday.  I guess those areas are really expensive too though.




Will post pictures of my other trips to Kings Park soon!  Might actually go back there one final time before the festival ends!