Powered By Blogger

Saturday, September 01, 2012

The First Signs of Spring

Time seriously flies.  August is officially over...and so is winter!  It's the first day of spring!

At the start of the semester, each apartment was given a potted plant, and told to take good care of it, as part of a competition.  We had to wait for flowers to appear, and those apartment(s) with yellow flowers would win a prize.  So we named our plant Boris, and put it at the window where it could get plenty of sunlight, as well as a good view of the path outside (it had lots of gorgeous flowers around it!).

We waited...and watered Boris everyday.  And our flower turned out to be white with a yellow centre!






Doesn't matter whether we won a prize or not.  Boris' flowers were gorgeous.  In fact those pictures taken above were of the very first flower we spotted.  Now there are two flowers.  Wonder if there will be more.

We were greeted with gorgeous spring weather for the past few days (except for yesterday!), and when I was walking home from uni one day, I spotted a bunch of flowers growing right in the middle of the grass patch, outside one of the flats.  Initially I thought they were small flowers clustered together, but when I went for a closer look, they were actually pretty large.  











"Group picture" of the whole bunch of flowers.  They were very conspicuous when I saw them, and I HAD to grab my camera straight after reaching home.











Went to Fremantle the other day, and actually planned my timing such that I could reach the bus stop 10 minutes before the bus arrived.  After all, buses arrived less frequently on weekends.

BUT...I was distracted.  I remembered it was about 23 degrees that day and I was actually going out without a cardigan!  Spotted some wildflowers along the road when I was walking out to the main road...




And spotted even more of these tiny wildflowers along the main road.  So I stopped by to take some pictures.





Not too far away...there were larger wildflowers.  These were similar to the ones I last spotted, but were slightly smaller.  Either way, they were gorgeous.






And as I was taking pictures of the bigger wildflowers, I saw the bus pass by.  RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME.  Wanted to sprint to catch it, but decided against it as I knew that I couldn't outrun the bus.  Tried that before and failed very miserably - ended up getting all sweaty and frustrated AND had to wait another half an hour for the next one.

Anyway I knew that I had about 10 more minutes to kill.  So I decided to focus on taking pictures of the flowers as I walked along the main road.









Another thing I noticed - most of the flowers I took were mostly yellow and white.  Haven't spotted other colours around yet, but I'll definitely be on the lookout!










And after that I spotted another bus coming in from the distance.  So I decided to sprint to the bus-stop in order to catch it.  Just my luck.  The ramp of the bus got a little stuck and the driver had to bring it up and down a few times.  Which gave me some time to get to the door and ensure that I got on.  And after that - it was off to Fremantle for more pictures.

I'll put up the Fremantle pictures some other time.

Anyway when I got back from Fremantle, I spotted more flowers growing outside the student village.  I think it's because of the excellent weather we had.  Mostly smaller flowers, but still attractive.







And these were taken right outside my room window, just as the sun was setting.  The flowers outside my room were perpetually blooming, and it's really gorgeous!  I wonder if they'll remain this way throughout spring.







I really can't wait for the King's Park Festival.  I heard it's starting today, and I actually went for a quick trip there yesterday evening.  Flowers weren't really in bloom yet, but I anticipate that they will be, really soon.  Can't wait to go there soon!

Throughout my 6 months here in Perth (I only arrived in February), I didn't make a visit to King's Park...until yesterday.  I actually have been to Perth twice before moving here - once in 1996 and once in 2004.  To be honest I can't remember what happened then.  For the 1996 trip, I only remembered visiting King's Park, Lake Monger Reserve, Burswood, Albany, Cape Leuwin Lighthouse, Margaret River and Fremantle...but I don't remember details at all.  As for the 2004 trip...well...I only remembered staying in the Esplanade Hotel in the CBD!  I intend to re-visit some of these places before I leave.

Had some really delicious food these days too!  One of my friends (who is also my ex-flatmate) brought me to Leederville (an inner suburb of Perth) and we had 2 different types of chocolate pizza.  We ended up having to bring half of each home.





And not too long ago, I had garlic bread and spaghetti bolognaise with another friend.  Set my camera to "Landscape" mode for richer colours and guess what?  The effects were kinda cool!

Whenever I look at these snapshots, I seriously feel like going for garlic bread again.







This one-week break seriously doesn't feel like a break.  So far I've been working non-stop on my thesis, and another assignment.  Hope to finish both of them on time!

Till then, I'll definitely be back again with more updates!