Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 05, 2012

Wildflower Festival Part 4

Stir-fried chicken with mushroom for dinner tonight.  DELISH! :D  I love mushrooms - and recently finished two bowls of mushrooms the other day - in a restaurant.  Apparently keeping mushrooms in a paper bag helps ensure that they do not "sweat", and this then helps keep them fresh.  For me it doesn't really matter, as I usually finish all my mushrooms the day I buy them.  I just can't resist them, and love putting LOTS of them into my stir-fry.  I can use up one big tray in a day!






And here's our final installment of the Wildflower Festival series!  I decided to combine this with some pics from Cottlesloe Beach - from one of my weekday trips with a really great friend.

Anyway let's start off with Kings Park!

Went to the Memorial Gardens on my way to the glass bridge (as they were along the way), and when I was standing on top of the hill, I noticed a column of water suddenly shoot up into the sky...and then it disappeared a few seconds later.





It took me a really short time to realise that the water column was timed, and its appearance was cued when the smaller fountains (pictured below) were turned off.





The water column itself was really strong, but winds distorted it, and sprayed many onlookers.

Oh and because of that, many children were enjoying it!  It's good to be sprayed every so often with cold water during a hot day!  I nearly got sprayed myself, but ducked just as the fountain shot into the air.

Here it is - with the wind blowing the water to one side.






Meanwhile, as the water column descended, people just hung around to wait for the next burst.






And here we go again!  Here we can see kids running away from the water and some just enjoying being sprayed by cold water.




There was a strategic spot (left of the pic) where kids loved to stand - as that was the spot where water would usually direct towards.




Walked down to the actual water feature just as another spray was about to happen...and here we go - one cycle of it!  Smaller fountains die down --> huge water column shoots into air --> smaller fountains turn on again.  That is how the whole thing generally worked.






Late afternoon - lots of people lounging around and watching the water column shoot up.  They really know how to enjoy life!  I went simply to chill out from thesis-writing.





Here we go - the path leading down to the Memorial Gardens...and some additional pics of the Gardens (focusing on the water column of course!)...








And that marks the end of the Kings Park trip!  Or rather, the many Kings Park trips I made just for the Wildflower Festival!  The next big event is the Perth Royal Show, which I'm going to.  I can't wait!

Weeks before the Wildflower Festival, I went to Cottlesloe Beach for the very first time - with a close friend of mine.  One of my plans was to see the whole stretch of beaches on the west side of Perth...and yup it's been nearly fulfilled!  Cottlesloe is one of them (it's also called City Beach), and there're others like Scarborough Beach and Trigg Beach - which I saw last week.

Anyway before we set off - we went to Cicerello's and I couldn't resist having their prawn pasta AGAIN!  I always have their prawn pasta...it's just sooooooo delicious...




Walked down to the beach and took a walk...it was kind of chilly that day but still gorgeous, with the sun.

And guess what?  I wore the wrong shoes...shouldn't have worn canvas shoes, for they were all covered in sand by the time we walked back to the car.  Should have brought slippers.




The "castle" - a main landmark in Cottlesloe.  And the sand was really clean!

Apparently the beach was very quiet on weekdays, but on weekends it'd be so crowded!







Climbed up onto a rocky outcrop for another angle of the beach...






And there was this guy standing at the end of the outcrop, fishing.  He kept thrusting his fishing line into the water...looks like he doesn't have much luck...hopefully he got something!






A few more pics from the rocky outcrop before climbing down...







And we decided to walk away from the main beach (where the "castle" was), to another, less popular side.

Well, the view was kinda similar, but still beautiful nevertheless.  After all, we parked for 3 hours - might as well make full use of it!




And this is how the other side looks like.  Imagine those lucky people who live near the beach - they can run/jog/cycle along this footpath and enjoy the waves everyday!  I've never lived beside the beach before - the closest I was to a beach was when I was staying in Williamstown (during my undergrad days in Melbourne), but even so I had to walk quite a distance to get there.

Maybe...maybe someday I'll choose to live near a beach, so that I can enjoy running along the coast everyday!









OK I guess these conclude the Wildflower Festival series!  I'll be coming up with another series I guess - as I was away during the mid-semester holidays and got lots of pictures!

Till then - back to my revision before the PERTH ROYAL SHOW!!!