Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 08, 2013

Sentosa Flower Show 2013

I've been to LOTS of Flower Shows (just to name a few - the Botanic Gardens Orchid Garden Show, the Tesselaar Tulip Festival (parts 1 and 2), the Kings Park Wildflower Festival (parts 1, 2 and 3) and now, the Sentosa Flower Show.  This is actually the third time I'm going for the Sentosa Flower Show.  But it is also the first time I had to pay an ENTRANCE FEE for it.  Fortunately I booked tickets early.

It had been raining a lot throughout the Chinese New Year weekend.  No thanks to the torrential rain, my cold got worse and I was coughing and sniffling badly throughout my trip to the flower show.  

Anyway - that aside.  The flower species were similar to what I saw in previous years.  But with the rain, they seemed to look fresher...I took lots of "stock photos" (photos that I intend to use for publication purposes someday).  These labelled photos are a preview of the "stock photos" I took.










Of course, I also took some mandatory close-up shots.  Quite a few of these close-ups made it to the "stock photo" pile.  I'm really happy with the pics I took this time round :)  Despite the crappy weather.





This gorgeous flower was still closed as I went early in the festival...




But its "companion" was just starting to open.  Only one petal sticking out!!




Roses.  They seemed to thrive well, though they were kinda small.  I've seen roses that are way bigger.







Interesting flower - but it didn't make it to the pile of "stock photos" thanks to the broken petal.  Ah well, it's a beauty and it's worth sharing!!




Found this butterfly resting on a flower petal, and I couldn't resist taking many pictures of it.  Every now and then it would uncurl its proboscis.  But it never moved from its spot - and that made life easy for me!







Prize-winning artworks from different groups of people.  These artworks were garden-themed, and had different decorations.  Some of them were pretty adorable...especially the stone mushroom!!











The Legend of Nu Wa (女娲).  She's a goddess in ancient Chinese mythology, most famous for creating mankind and repairing the wall of Heaven.  Here she is - repairing the wall of Heaven...




I passed by a number of photo-points, including these featured here.  People were pushing and fighting to take pictures.  Fortunately it was still early in the morning AND the weather was still crappy, so there wasn't a massive crowd.  Managed to take the pictures I wanted to take before moving on.









Tivoli Gardens - a joint collaboration with a Danish designer and some Singaporeans.  It featured a number of orchids and artwork.




Passed through the Tivoli Gardens, and then through this walkway with more orchids and paintings.




A wall of flowers - apparently this wall is made up of lots and lots of flowers!  People wanted to take pictures in front of this wall - although the rain was starting to come in.




Some interactive displays for children to enjoy.  These were scattered along the beach.

All of these were snake-themed.  The treehouse had a slide that resembled a snake, and there was a massive snakes-and-ladders board game.








Paid a couple of bucks to write a "Happy New Year" message too!





It was difficult trying to balance my umbrella and my camera to take more pictures, so I gave up and went for lunch instead.  I was really hungry...





Check out the ominous-looking clouds!  I was subsequently trapped in one of the shelters due to the heavy rain...and was pretty bored.  Many people were in the same boat as me!

Ah well, let's just say that this was a really unusual Chinese New Year!




Crossed the bridge to the other side of the beach with my umbrella, camera and everything else...and the bridge was super wobbly!  The water levels were high too, and there were many people trying to cross.  It was pretty difficult to squeeze through as the bridge was narrow...but I made it.

Spent quite a long time here, as the rain just wouldn't stop.  I was pretty tired by then (partly because of the cold), and was ready to go home.  But I couldn't, as of yet.  So I spent some time on the Southernmost Tip of Continental Asia.







Finally - the rain died down and I could finally leave!  On my way, I spotted a number of paintings depicting Chinese fables.  This one depicted "The Goose who Laid Golden Eggs".




And that marks the end of the Sentosa Flower Show post!  The Flower Show was actually smaller than I expected, and I couldn't really go for a second look as I was busy packing to move back to Perth at that time.  At least my objective of getting "stock photos" was fulfilled.

I'll definitely update again in the near future...do stay tuned!