Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 01, 2013

The 10-22mm Series (Part 2: Bishan Park)

Apologies for the slow updates recently - Masters is really intense and I am taking up 2 jobs alongside it!  So I have lots going on right now.  That doesn't mean I have forgotten this space though - I will still update. 

Anyway here I am - back with the second part of the 10-22mm Series!  Same thing - the majority of the pictures were taken using my new 10-22mm wide-angle lens.

I've actually been to Bishan Park a few times, and there was once I walked from one end to the other!  Remember the post I did on Bishan Park a while back?  That part of the park was on the side nearer to Upper Thomson Road, and is known as Bishan Park 1.  Today's post will be on the part that is actually near Bishan, and this one is known as Bishan Park 2.  

Here's a couple of views of Bishan Park just as I was walking in from the bus stop.





Bishan Park 2 is different from Bishan Park 1.  Pretty different, I should say.  Bishan Park 1 seems more urbanised, and has more man-made structures like exercise corners and stuff like that.  Bishan Park 2 - on the other hand - is bordered by the Bishan heartlands on one end and the main road on the other.  It looks more like an open field, with the stream (formerly a canal) as the main focus.  The stream goes through the entire park.

There are a number of bridges spanning across the stream, and one of them offers really good views of the park and the heartlands!






Each time I'm at Bishan Park, I'll spot some planes flying past.  Some appear to be from the military, while others seem to be passenger planes.  Not going to guess which is which!




Like what I did in Bishan Park 1, I ventured down the slope to get nearer to the stream.  Fortunately the ground wasn't too muddy as it was pretty dry during that time.  Going nearer to the stream gives me good views anyway.

To be honest, I really think the idea of putting rocks in the stream is awesome.  It kinda decorates the stream and makes it look more interesting.  And there was once I was walking past the stream during the heavy rain, and I could see water crashing against the rocks.  Totally epic!








The heartlands - aka HDB flats - can be seen from everywhere!  The majority of Singaporeans live in high-rise flats due to land constraints (Singapore's land area is small).  Those living in these flats probably have super awesome views of the park...especially those living on the higher floors.






One of the many shelters around the park.  Nice shape!




Back on another bridge...to cross over to the other side.  The water was really still that day.








Love the blue skies - I deliberately set my white balance mode to "Cloudy" to bring out the colours of the sky and the grass.




I didn't have a fixed plan, so I just followed whatever path I was on.




And ended up on this lovely stone path leading down to the stream itself.  In this park, there were 2 of such stone paths.  This is the first one, and I have pictures of the other one later in the post.




This stone path actually spans the stream, allowing me to cross from one side to another.  Waters are usually very still, and water levels are generally low apart from rainy days.  You can get great pictures of the flats and the surroundings, as well as their reflections on the water surface.

There were quite a number of fish swimming happily around.  But they darted quickly away when I stepped onto the stones!  Awwwwwww...









The waters were THIS clean!  And the stream was shallow anyway.  You could see everything underneath the water surface.








Climbed up a small hill and got a really good view of the stream I just crossed!  




Back on the road again.  And ended up on yet another stone path.





This path offered fantastic views too, and was similar to the previous one.  But of course, there were some differences.  Oh - and there were some people fishing in this area!  A father was guiding his two sons on how to fish, and they apparently had quite a good catch.  People often venture to the stream to fish anyway.







Spotted this bird gliding gracefully through the sky.  I had to track it for quite a long time before I finally got a decent picture of it.




Ended up walking towards Recycle Hill - another landmark within the park.  This place was dubbed Recycle Hill as the concrete extracted from the old canal (before the stream was upgraded and naturalised) was used to construct it.  Basically the concrete was old, and had been used for many years.





Famous sculpture on top of the hill.  Yet another landmark!






And on the way back, I headed to MacDonald's for a drink of iced Milo - something good for the hot weather!  This MacDonald's branch is awesome - it's located in such beautiful surroundings, and it's popular too!







And after lingering around for a while more, I headed back to the main road to catch a bus back.

Bishan Park 2 is now one of my new favourite places apart from Sentosa.  Not only that - it is very near where I live.  Conclusion - I should go back again when I next come back!

Meanwhile, do stay tuned for part 3 of this series!