Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 01, 2013

AFL Grand Finals Part 1: Painting the Town Purple



The weekend of the AFL Grand Finals came and went...but I still remember every moment of it, right up to the day itself, watching the AFL Grand Finals LIVE on a giant screen. The Dockers (Fremantle) were playing against the Hawks (Hawthorn) in the Grand Final...and I was sitting in a sea of purple and white along the Cappuccino Strip, watching the game. It was such an interesting experience...considering that its my first time watching the AFL Grand Finals.

The Dockers had waited for quite a long time to get into the finals...and it was a very big event for people in Fremantle! For the whole of AFL Grand Finals Day, shops were closed, the town was decorated with purple and white...and even the streets were painted purple! So here I am - documenting the transformation of the Cappuccino Strip - in preparation for the AFL Grand Finals.

I went to Fremantle on the weekend of the semi-finals...and banners had already been set up, to cheer Fremantle on. 






And of course, the road dividers were painted purple, with the phrase "GO FREO" painted in white. To cheer the Dockers on for the semi-finals! It was a major accomplishment for the Dockers, and many of us were so proud of them!

The yellow and green pots were still on the dividers during the semi-finals, but were moved away in preparation for the Grand Finals, to provide enough space for the crowd. More to that in the other pics below!












Decided to watch the sunset at Bather's Beach, as I haven't seen a proper beach sunset since June or so. I was really lucky, as the weather was good, although it was also quite chilly.




Kidogo Arthouse - originally used as a kerosene store - along the beach.

When I was walking towards the arthouse, I heard this really loud horn behind me and nearly jumped out of my skin. Turned out that it was a cargo train passing behind me, along the tracks. Fortunately I had already crossed the tracks by then.




I was anticipating a really pretty sunset since the clouds were strategically aligned...and that was what I saw! Clouds illuminated in a gorgeous orange colour, and the sun setting in the horizon.





Just as the sun set, a massive cargo ship was seen leaving the port. It looks so small here, from the beach. Imagine the cargo ship drifting out in the open sea...until it reaches its next destination......





Remaining pillars from the old wooden jetty that used to span Bather's Beach, out into the sea. The jetty was rendered obsolete in the 1920s when the Inner Harbour of Fremantle was built, and was eventually demolished. However, a small portion of the jetty remains, and is a popular spot for people to relax and enjoy the sea breeze.





Waves were getting quite dramatic by the time I went down to the beach, so I decided to take a few more pics. Didn't get as many as I wanted to though. These are the ones I particularly liked.








Ended up on Cicerello's Landing as I was debating about what to eat. I needed some pasta badly, but didn't have much cash on me...





So I ended up at my favourite chocolate lounge, where I got a delicious dinner AND rich hot chocolate. And the total price was within my budget! Of course, the hot choc was particularly enjoyable as always. Look at the amount of chocolate they have given!








Walked to the Fremantle Markets to see if I could get some paella (as I was craving for some and was still hungry), but the markets were closing. While waiting for the bus, I spotted some footy quotes and flower pots - decorations in preparation for the AFL Grand Finals of course.





Turned out that the Dockers won the semi-finals, and were going straight to the Finals!! All of us were so excited...and of course, the town underwent further transformations...to cheer the Dockers on!

On the day BEFORE the Grand Finals, I decided to watch the sunset again. Many Dockers supporters were already decked out in purple and white, and some had the most interesting hats and costumes. Of course, the dog owners even dressed their beloved pets in purple singlets...so cute! I spotted this German Shepherd in a purple Dockers singlet and he trotted obediently with his owner...also dressed in an identical Dockers singlet. Too cute!




More Dockers flags and streamers had been put up, and pub/cafe owners were also decorating their shops with Dockers merchandise.

The lampposts also had "Go Freo" signs, and were strategically placed at conspicuous spots.









Even my favourite chocolate lounge (Theobroma) decided to put up purple flags and purple table mats to blend in with the rest! How amazing is that!




Oh, and check out the decorations inside the chocolate lounge. There was even a cute inflatable footy figurine amongst the Theobroma chocolate merchandises! I even bought some chocolate to stock up my chocolate supply...and to admire the cute footy figurine of course!







Other shops had these inflatable Dockers anchors outside, and many of them were eventually used as props to wave around during the Grand Finals.





The "Updated Version" of the Cappuccino Strip - flower pots gone, entire dividers painted in purple...and the words "GO FREO" were replaced with "The West Australian" - the main broadcaster for the grand finals. I also spotted some of the crew setting up their cameras and stuff! The giant screens weren't set up till the next morning, and the Cappuccino Strip was essentially closed for the whole of Grand Finals Day.





Wasn't just the Cappuccino Strip. Virtually every building in Fremantle had purple and white balloons/banners/streamers...to cheer the Dockers on! Looks like 100% of people in Freo are Dockers supporters!





And in the next post, I'll put up pics from the Grand Finals itself. So glad that I made the trip to Fremantle on that day!