Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, December 03, 2013

Melbourne Part 1: The City of Melbourne from Day to Night




All right! Let's get started with the Melbourne pics shall we? I just got back from a 12-day trip to Melbourne, of which 4 days were spent at a conference in the University of Melbourne :) It's my second conference, but the first one where I actually did an oral presentation...and it went really well. The conference was highly enjoyable - I learnt a lot, met a lot of awesome people...and I feel more empowered and prepared for PhD! And of course, I'm in touch with some of the wonderful people I met. Felt so thankful being able to attend this awesome conference. And I hope to attend many more conferences in the future!

Before the conference commenced, I did quite a lot of walking trips around Melbourne and some of its famous landmarks. Some of these pics were taken in the day, and then again at dusk.

First up - Melbourne Town Hall. All decked out in Christmas decorations, and still looking good as always! Melbourne Town Hall is a major icon along Swanston Street, and hosts many performances. And yes - I've been there many, many times! The interior is amazing.








I should also mention - I passed by the famous Flinders Street train station on my way here...and it looked as grand as always. Like what people would usually say, 'Meet me under the clocks (of Flinders Street Station)'. Its an amazing piece of art.





Beautiful facades along Swanston Street. That's what I really love about Melbourne - well-preserved heritage buildngs. I love 19th century buildings!





Can't miss Bourke Street Mall! It's still bustling...and especially crowded during this season when Christmas is coming. Myer and David Jones are literally packed with people! And people are also crowding around the shop windows of Myer - where they've got interactive Christmas decorations! Happens every year.

This time I was glad to be able to go into Myer...and was amazed by the interior. I had a browse through the mall, and stopped by for some hot choc at Brunetti's. Italian hot choc! Of course - that was not my only hot choc for the whole trip. I think I had at least 7 or more. Or maybe one per day. Can't remember. The bottom line is - I had loads of chocolate :)










The GPO (General Post Office) after revamping! The last time I was in Melbourne, the GPO was still undergoing some restoration works. Now it's as good as new!









Went into Royal Arcade for a while too, and also to admire some Christmas decorations.





In the evening, I took a walk along Flinders Street, and took pics of more buildings of course. They look amazing as always...and I'm still in awe of their amazing design.







Australian Centre for the Moving Images (ACMI) - right next to Federation Square. And yes - I crossed Federation Square and took a couple of pics there too! Can't miss Federation Square - it is a major landmark!







Southbank was all lit up by then, so I took a walk there, and also to experiment with some night shots. Right now - I'm standing on Princes Bridge - yet another landmark spanning the Yarra River. 






The newly revamped Hamer Hall actually looks amazing at night!









And we can never forget the Arts Centre - where weekend markets are held on Sundays. I bought some souvenirs before leaving Melbourne too!





Went back to Southbank on another occasion, and was just in time for sunset! The city looked so gorgeous...and the setting sun just made everything perfect...









And that's it for Part 1! Part 2 will be coming up soon!