Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 05, 2014

Melbourne Part 6: The University of Melbourne

Have to start off this post with more Aggie pics! Well...gotta admit, she is really cute. And loves posing! I really miss her now, and am definitely looking forward to cuddling her more in February!









Paid a visit to my alma mater - the University of Melbourne, just before the conference commenced. I was actually in Melbourne for a conference, and decided to go there earlier to enjoy the Melbourne atmosphere.

The University of Melbourne campus is a really gorgeous place...with all the sandstone buildings and unique architecture from the 1800s. These have lots of character indeed!

So here I am, entering the precinct where the Old Physics Building is located.







Cussonia Court - named after the giant Cussonia spicata tree right in the middle, just outside the Old Quadrangle. The sundial is also another major landmark in this area.






Went through the Old Quadrangle, and spotted part of the Old Arts Building. The Old Arts Building is most famous for the giant clock tower, a major landmark in the University itself. The Old Arts Building was constructed around 1924. Right now, the inside has already been refurbished, and looks really modern!









The other side of the Old Arts Building, near the library. I used to walk along this road very often.




One of the banners outside the Old Quadrangle, just before I went in. Inspirational message!




And back to the Old Quadrangle! The Old Quadrangle is the oldest part of the University itself, and was designed by Francis White. It originally had apartments on the east and west sides for professors, and is also a major landmark within the University. I often cut through the Old Quadrangle to get from one place to another, within the University, as it functions as a wonderful shortcut! The Eight Hour Day plaque is situated in the Old Quadrangle - and commemorates the stonemasons' stopping of work in support of eight-hour work days...raising awareness of human rights and work conditions during that time.

And of course, the Old Quadrangle is absolutely gorgeous. Check out the amazing carvings along the way! And check out the details on the ceiling...








Looking down the Old Quadrangle, from different positions...I literally went around and around trying to take as many pics as I could. And the lighting was in my favour, of course!






My favourite pics of the day - wide-angled views of the Old Quadrangle. There're rose bushes growing in the middle of the Old Quadrangle, and they've been really well maintained!





Reached a more open area - near the South Lawn...and of course, almost went nuts taking as many pics as I could. This area has more uniform carvings, but they're beautiful, nevertheless.







 




Moving on to the Engineering precinct, where I spotted this lovely building...I can't remember what it's called though, but it's so beautiful! Check out all the details on the facade!












Onto Swanston Street, where I passed the Ian Potter Museum of Art. This museum houses many prominent artpieces from the University of Melbourne. The external sculpture (featured here) is known as the Cultural Rubble.







The Chemistry Building - I spent some time here in first year, as I had to complete some electives. The Chemistry Building also has a really modern interior, despite its facade. Nevertheless, it's still pretty!





One of my favourite spots in the University - the Conservatorium of Music (we call it the Con for short). I spent quite a lot of time here too, playing piano everyday...when I was still studying for my music diploma. The Percy Grainger museum is located right next to it, and there's this little cafe which I visit often...it's called Percy's Cafe, and that was where I met one of my best buddies! He's still one of my best buddies now, and I'm gonna miss him so much when he moves to the Philippines...

There's a portrait of Dame Nellie Melba within the Con...and I often go to Melba Hall (also within the Con) for classes and public performances. Gosh I miss that kinda lifestyle, where I could go for free concerts every Monday!




Last but not least - the new Kenneth Myer Building - where I was for my conference. I've got a number of pics from the conference itself, and I'm so glad I could attend it, as I had so much fun! I learnt so much too! Hope to be back for the same conference, next year!




Calling it a day for now - but will be back with more pics soon!