Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 12, 2015

New Music...and Sydney Preview

Part 1: New Music...from someone I truly respect




YAY! My new music arrived! By now, I guess y'all have established that I'm a Streisand fanatic (with direct reference to Glenn Gould's description of his admiration towards Barbra Streisand's lovely music). I have been exposed mainly to classical music throughout my life (due to my super extensive training in piano, particularly during my diploma years). And I still play hardcore classical pieces nowadays (and more often than not, aggravating that old hand injury I sustained before my final diploma recital). But when it comes to contemporary music, Barbra is definitely my favourite artist, in terms of interpretation and performance of musical works. Interestingly, I first knew about her through her rendition of "I've Dreamed of You" (the original melody was known as "Heartstrings", composed by Secret Garden, and lyrics were added by Ann Hampton Callaway), and not through her more famous pieces like "The Way We Were", "Woman in Love" or "People". Subsequently, I accumulated more and more of her masterpieces, including Love is the Answer (2009) - shown above. I am really in awe of her massive repertoire. And I listen to some of her albums multiple times without getting tired of them...because everytime I hear them, they sound different. They're so multidimensional...and so unique. I pay lots of attention to details within her music, and any music in general.

Although I love Barbra's music and works in general, I see her - really - as my most important role model. I respect her for her perfectionism (in my opinion it is akin to the continuous strive for excellence), conscientiousness, meticulousness, determination and strong passion...just to name a few (the list is pretty long). Of course, apart from these work ethos, I love how she is so committed to giving her best shot no matter what, and how she has no qualms in standing up to the stuff she believes in. I love how she cares so much about wanting to make things better. I love how she remains so humble and down-to-earth, and not get caught up with her multiple laurels. I love how she is so compassionate and generous. Most importantly, I love how she openly and continuously maintains her authenticity. She stays true to herself, no matter what, and is determined to ensure that part of her does not falter.  

To sum it all up, Barbra holds plenty of attributes which I really hope to emulate, to the best of my abilities. I believe strongly in her life principles. She is truly a unique personality...in the best way possible. For the record (no pun intended), she is legendary. And to be honest - I really do hope I could meet her someday. I bet the experience will be absolutely magical. 


Part 2: Preview of Sydney Adventures





For the second part of my post, let's focus on a preview of Sydney (I went there during the Easter weekend). Sydney was massive...and there was so much to see. I was there for 5 days, and it rained almost everyday...except for the day where I went to the Opera House and Botanic Gardens! Nevertheless, the rain did not dampen my mood, and I got to explore the places I wanted to go to. I am also highly thankful to my chemistry tutor from Junior College years - for recommending me so many places!

First up - I had SO MUCH hot chocolate in Sydney, thanks to my discovery of Guylian Chocolate Cafe on Circular Quay. I went on my first night in Sydney...and went back again at least 5 more times. Their hot chocolate is just heavenly! Now I'm craving for their hot chocolate, as I am typing up this post.






Queen Victoria Building and The Strand Arcade - beautiful shopping centres in the heart of the city. I was so intrigued by the Queen Victoria Building - that I had to go back again just to take photos of that iconic dome...and the interior decorations. It was difficult for me to leave the building, because it was just so beautiful. Let's just say that the rainy weather worked in my favour this time - I got all the photos I wanted...and here are some of my favourite ones. Oh yes - I bought my mandatory 'shipment' of chocolates from Haigh's Chocolates at The Strand Arcade.












As a psychology + music student , I felt that the Sydney Opera House was a 'mandatory' landmark for me to visit. Besides, it has always been on my bucket list. And since the Sydney Opera House was really near where I stayed, I went for the tour and of course, took many photos of the outside. Apart from being an iconic musical venue, the Sydney Opera House is lauded for its groundbreaking, unique architecture - thanks to famous Danish architect Jorn Utzon. It is now a world heritage site. Just to quote the tour guide - "by the end of [the tour of the Sydney Opera House], you will not forget who Jorn Utzon is". He is absolutely right. I will now remember Jorn Utzon for a long, long time. 

Oh yes - and I was so thrilled to see the Joan Sutherland Theatre within the Sydney Opera House! Dame Joan Sutherland is my favourite opera singer - because of her bel canto voice...and also because of her range of repertoire. She did sing in the Sydney Opera House multiple times, and I bet it was a phenomenal experience!









I went to the University of Sydney for half a day too - just to look around. And also because my chemistry tutor is an alumni from the University of Sydney. I heard how beautiful the campus was - and I was right - it WAS beautiful. The sandstone buildings, the unique carvings...oh my gosh...for one moment I was reminded of my undergraduate days at the University of Melbourne, another campus famous for sandstone buildings. I've included some pictures of the famous old quadrangle of the University of Sydney here, in this preview.












On the day I visited the Sydney Opera House, I also went for a walk in the Royal Botanic Gardens. It had rained the day before, and the flowers were certainly fresher. The walk was tranquil, and I also passed by the Sydney Conservatorium of Music. Another 'mandatory' landmark for me!









Last but not least, I visited the Darling Harbour and Pyrmont Bridge - briefly - while walking around the CBD. The place was packed due to the weekend crowd, but I did manage to get the pics I wanted. I also managed to get the Darling Harbour Cruise (departing from Circular Quay) - and that itself was an interesting experience. 






I'll be posting my actual Sydney posts in the near future! Right now, I've to get to sleep. I just realised that I edited this post at least 10 times...and that I am turning into a night owl, all over again! Stay tuned!