Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Sudden Longing for Home




It has been a pretty rough week. The passing of Mr Lee Kuan Yew, and his funeral...it all happened in a blur...and now, things appear to go back to its usual, quotidian ways...in Singapore at least. From what I last heard, the hustle and bustle is back, and life goes on as usual. 

But the past week actually made me realise how much I missed home. During the week (after Mr Lee's passing), I had a very, very strong desire to go home. In fact, I felt awful that I couldn't see Mr Lee for the last time...and was sore about it. I tried to compensate by doing little things like writing a tribute online and watching the state funeral via Channel News Asia (thank goodness for live coverage via the Internet)...but I feel that these aren't enough...I wish I could be there to send him off on his final journey...

I have been trying to convince myself that it's the thought that counts...and that has been - to a certain extent - comforting. But that stinging feeling of being so far away from home has hit hard - harder than before. 

So...as part of coping with this sudden bout of homesickness, I've put together a post - that documents some of my favourite moments over the past vacations that I've had. Some of the photos have watermarks while others don't - and that's probably because I forgot to put watermarks on some of my photos...my bad!

First up - peaceful, long strolls in Lower Peirce Reservoir - one of the many water catchments in Singapore. Lower Peirce Reservoir is a heritage site...and is also really close to my house. Usually I come here to enjoy the peace, quiet and open air...accompanied by some music on my iPod sometimes. I used to come here with my parents in the evenings (back when I was still a kid).




One of my fondest memories - doing a pre-wedding photoshoot for my mate and her (then) fiance - they're happily married now. We went to different parts of Singapore - mainly Seletar Reservoir, Blu Cucina (Holland area), the historical railway tracks near Bukit Timah, one of the older housing estates in Singapore (I can't remember the name though), and ended up at Sentosa. And throughout the day, I was enjoying myself so thoroughly - taking photos of a couple very deeply in love (they are still very deeply in love up till today). Of course, I also had opportunities to enjoy my surroundings, and look around (mindfully of course!) and take photos. That was two years ago, and I remembered that I was adamant on going back to Singapore specially to photograph them. It certainly was worth it. Looking back at the photos certainly puts a smile on my face - a big, cheesy smile. 














Orchard Road's another place I frequently go to - and sometimes it can be a tad too crowded. Our weekend routines - brekkie at Centrepoint, some shopping/walking around/chilling out, followed by lunch at a cafe/restaurant in the area, and then home for some rest. On weekdays or early mornings, it is actually quite peaceful here. I had a stroll there after a medical checkup one weekday morning, and it was so pleasant. I think Ion Orchard is a gem, and I do like hanging out at Kinokuniya in Takashimaya. As of now, I heard that Orchard Gateway's an upbeat, modern place - and I hope to visit it someday, when I next go back.






Apart from Orchard Road, a walk along the river is another thing I love to do - particularly on days with good weather. I usually start off from the Marina Bay area, and go down the Promenade, all the way to the Merlion precinct. I can't wait to walk along the river again at the end of the year (when the weather's cooler). I know (and am fully aware) that I will be seeing lots of skyscrapers, but hey, I really appreciate the scenery! It is a reminder of how far we have come, from a little colonial outpost, to one of the most developed and affluent countries in the world.

And oh hi Mr Merlion! :)







...perhaps after walking around the CBD, I could go to Raffles Hotel for a glass of Singapore Sling! After all, Raffles Hotel is pretty close by! And I love wandering around the corridors in there. I went to Raffles Hotel twice, but so far I have not had Singapore Sling in mainland Singapore yet. I have had multiple Singapore Slings on board Singapore Airlines though...





I enjoy photography exhibitions at the ArtScience Museum too...and admiring its precinct of course. I love art very, very much - it's pretty much my life! Photography...music (piano to be more specific)...these aren't just hobbies to me. I studied music when I was an undergraduate and am integrating music into my PhD. As for photography, I'm hoping to go professional (or at least semi-professional) someday...or even sell my photos as postcards?!






Featured here is the Karl Lagerfeld Little Black Jacket exhibition which I attended in early 2014. I was so glad to be able to take some photos in there - and here are some of my favourites. It was so amazing - all the monochrome photos of celebrities - in little black jackets...I hope to venture into portraiture photography again someday. Speaking of which - I collected two posters from the exhibition - that of Song Hye Kyo and Kirsten Dunst (they're hanging in my room back home). 










I saw the Annie Leibovitz exhibition in May last year too, and that was amazing - Annie Leibovitz has such a distinct and unique style. She photographed lots of celebrities, including The Rolling Stones, Demi Moore and Barbra Streisand (whom I really respect and admire - she is essentially my role model). I love Annie Leibovitz's style...and sometimes I look at her photos for inspiration.

Honestly I can't wait for the next photography exhibition!!





Needless to say, I miss Singaporean food. Chicken rice, fried Hokkien mee, laksa, youtiao etc etc etc...the list is way too long. I love visiting the heartlands, hawker centres and food courts whenever I am home - they always have the best food. Especially hawker centres. I love food!!








Another thing I really miss - and look forward to at the end of the year - a visit to the Flower Dome and Cloud Forest at Gardens by the Bay. And a walk around Gardens by the Bay in general. At one point, Gardens by the Bay was new to me, and I was so keen to explore it. As you can probably tell by now, I love the outdoors - particularly parks, water, and open spaces...






I love wandering around the two beautiful glass domes and admiring the greenery in there...and of course, walking on the skybridges in the Cloud Forest is quite an interesting experience. And since I'm into architecture photography AND nature photography, I always end up with hundreds of shots.





One of my best memories - the Tulipmania in April 2014. I was so glad I could visit the Flower Dome during that time (I happened to be home for a short visit) - and yes I did have a field day (no pun intended!). I did end up sneezing more that day (no thanks to hay fever), but it was worth it.









And on days without Tulipmania or other special programmes by Gardens by the Bay, the greenery is still pretty interesting. Especially the skybridge in the Cloud Forest. I made a trip there the year before - and here're some pictures from then. 












Museum-hopping's fun too! I am still in awe of the National Museum of Singapore's foyer - especially the dome and the Corinthian columns and the super-modern area behind the dome...but at the same time, I've learnt quite a lot about Singapore's history while walking through the corridors and exhibits...























Since I love architectural photography so much (and have been venturing more and more into it these days), I am also fascinated by old temples...

Particularly the historical Fuk Tak Chi Museum - with its beautiful Chinese words, carvings and all (it is the oldest temple in Singapore and is tucked away neatly somewhere in the older part of Singapore)...







And the Thian Hock Keng Temple - which I think is a wondrous work of art. I can't believe that it was built without nails! 








Ann Siang Hill, Haji Lane, Chinatown...and the older areas in the Singapore CBD are lovely places that also worth exploring - mainly for their colourful shophouses, cafes, restaurants - a change in scenery from the imposing and ultra-modern skyscrapers along the river.










There are many other things I'd like to list about home, but this post will be way too long. In fact, I think this post is already really long to start off with! Apart from being together with my family and having awesome home-cooked food, I do have my favourite hangout places. Some of them are touristy areas, and I am fully aware of it. Nevertheless, they are part and parcel of my home. Everytime I go back to Singapore, I make an effort to visit at least a few of these places - to see how they have changed, and to get new ideas and perspectives of course. I've visited some of these places multiple times, and often, it's because I have some sense of attachment towards the place itself.

I'd say that writing this post was quite therapeutic too - it does bring back good memories. And it is also an honest reminder that Singapore will always be my home. Some of these pictures in the post were event-specific, while others aren't, but nevertheless, there'll always be things to do when I go home. And I am looking forward to that.

Till then, I'll work hard and focus on the tasks and responsibilities that lie ahead of me...