Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Government House - Open Day

Oh gosh, how backdated am I? The Open Day was held in late March...and it's now June...!! Anyway, better late than never!

The Government House in Perth usually has Open Days around twice a year, and I happened to be free on one of those days. I actually went for last year's Open Day in November when I was still using my old camera (covered in this post). And because I really love the interior of the Government House, I decided to go again this year. And signed up for a subscription for their music programme. I heard they're going to play Beethoven's Emperor Concerto in November, and I do hope to go for that!







Walked through the gorgeous open corridors of the Government House. This was built between 1859 and 1864, and is situated amidst hectares of English-style gardens in the heart of the city. As its name suggests, it housed governors of Western Australia. 

It is certainly an impressive building right in the heart of the city! Check out its gorgeous architecture!








Decided to walk inside after hanging around for a while - so that I will have sufficient time to tour around the entire compound, including the vast English Gardens. The first room I saw was a small but cosy waiting room. It was quite empty when I stepped in.




The next destination? The ballroom of course! Check out the impressive ceiling and chandeliers!




Stage was empty so I got to take a couple of pics of it. Added on to my existing collection!





The impressive Ballroom was designed by Hillson Beasley and was added to the main building in the 1890s. It has been used frequently for concerts and formal dinners/gatherings.

This time - I decided to try something different. I wanted the lights to have criss-cross patterns. So I lowered the shutter speed and decreased the aperture size on my camera...and there we go! I really, really like the eventual effect. Last year I didn't really think of this idea. If I remember correctly, last year's pics of the Ballroom had a more orange, warm feel to it. This year, I chose to make it less orangey.







These are by far my favourite pictures of the chandeliers and the ballroom itself.






Someone recommended that I went to the second floor...and so I did!





The view of the Ballroom from the balcony was equally impressive. It was kind of a slightly different perspective. But it was still good.






Went back down to the first floor after hanging around for a short while. There was an ongoing fair in the Ballroom that day, and there were quite a number of people hanging around.






Walked out of the Ballroom and entered a room filled with pictures and lots of books. I presume it's a study room or meeting room. There were some legal documents preserved in there too.





The next room I entered after that - a dining room with a massive table. The table was set out with gorgeous cutlery, as if there was going to be a dinner gathering that night. And the napkins were folded neatly. Really, really good presentation indeed! And on a side table, there were shiny food covers and candles - all polished and immaculately set out.







Another corner of the room. The ceiling was made of jarrah timber. And when I looked up, I noticed that it had pretty intricate patterns. Didn't notice this during my last visit.





My favourite room of all - the room with the piano in the bay window. The guide told us that the piano was designed and built in the 1870s. People still use it for performances. I wish I could play it someday. Imagine playing the piano at the bay window and watching the world go by. How nice!






I should say that every room's been well-designed - look at the gorgeous ceiling! So intricate and detailed!





The neighbouring room was some kind of a sitting room where people gathered.






And on one of the shelves, there was a picture of Her Majesty the Queen.




Walked into yet another study room after that. I believe that this is an office used by one of the Governors, or perhaps one of those working in the Parliament. As always - these rooms were so immaculate. I expected the desk to be a little...messier. Apparently not!








There was also a small corner in one of the rooms where people could just sit and relax...and enjoy a good view of the English Gardens outside. 




The final point in our tour - the famous staircase. Obviously we weren't allowed to go upstairs! We were able to do so in the Werribee Mansion - but not here!

Spotted an impressive clock in one of the corners - it was still working!




And here we go - the impressive staircases with the stained glass and all. Perfect symmetry!




Went outside after that. And took pictures of these - captioned "Outside In or Inside Out?" Well - you decide whether it's "Outside In" or "Inside Out"!





Strolled in the warm sun and enjoyed a view of the Government House from the massive English Gardens.






Ended up at the rose beds...and the roses were kinda blooming then. But I didn't bring my telephoto (also macro) lens, so I took less pictures of them. Anyway it isn't really the season for roses...





Took some more pics of the gardens. Honestly I am still in awe of them. I haven't had a chance to explore every single square inch of them, but I will certainly do so someday!





Walked back out onto the main road - and here's a pic of the Government House through the fence!




And I guess that's it for today! Back to studying for exams. I'm determined to finish studying the whole unit by the weekend (I've got two topics more). Till then - see you soon!