Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 17, 2013

Langley Park and Little Boat House

Yet another trip to the city - this trip was actually combined with the St George's Terrace trip I covered in the previous entry. I had about half a day to myself - so I decided to head down to Langley Park as well.

Before I ended up at Langley Park, I passed through the Supreme Court Gardens...






And ended up opposite the Bell Tower. I haven't gone up the Bell Tower yet - will probably do so someday. The Bell Tower is a very famous landmark in Perth, and apparently it is really popular. There's a ferry terminal just near the Bell Tower, as well as some restaurants/cafes, so this place is often crowded. Likewise - I should take the ferry across the river someday. I could use my regular transport card on board.





This path is really appropriately named - it's called the Riverside Drive. Well - it IS just next to the river. I had really good views of South Perth (just across the river) and of course, the city itself.







Spotted a really cool bench along the same route. Lots of people were walking/cycling around this area too. 




Reached Langley Park - a massive open space built on reclaimed land, just next to the river. You can have a really good view of the city skyline from Langley Park. I remembered being awed by the gorgeous city lights as I walked through Langley Park - when I went to see Cirque du Soleil in May. Speaking of which, Cirque du Soleil is probably over now, but when I was sending my best buddy to the airport - I spotted the tent. They're probably going to leave the tent there for a while, I guess?





My lucky chocolate rose. When I went to Theobroma (on the same day) - the barista gave it to me and said that this was for good luck. She was really nice...and I decided to take a picture of it!

Turns out that I needed more luck than I thought. On the day of the exam - I freaked out big time when I saw the 2 case studies presented to me. The difficulty level was off the charts! I felt as if I answered the questions wrongly. It didn't help that I was nervous...and I can't really write fast. In the end I didn't finish the paper, though I did about 90% of it. I was hoping that this paper would be ok...but it wasn't. Honestly I am in limbo - as I am extremely worried that I might fail. Not because I didn't study (I studied my butt off for this horrid paper!), but because I feel as if I could have had more detailed answers. Well let's wait and see.




Anyway enough of speaking about the crappy exam. Back to Langley Park!

Langley Park is used widely for sporting activities and of course, travelling circuses. The Cirque du Soleil is one of them. The Cirque du Soleil troupe is a world-renowned troupe from Canada, and it showcases superb acrobatic stunts, contortionists and colourful costumes, plus really creative choreography. It has been described as a "dramatic mix of circus and street entertainment". It mainly became famous in the 1990s and 2000s, although it was established in the 1980s.

The Cirque du Soleil troupe does a number of shows, and each has its own name and unique choreography. The one I saw was Ovo (egg) - one of the more famous ones. Ovo is meant to be a show that showcases movement through various insect-like mannerisms. It has the largest flying trapeze act in Cirque du Soleil - which is really, really impressive. The costumes are also colourful and vibrant, and make the performers look like insects (the central theme of the show).

Here is the distinctive yellow and blue tent from the distance...








And after a while, I reached the main entrance of the tent. Lots of people were waiting to go inside, and there were already quite a number of people inside. If I'm not wrong they had just come out from the 4pm show, and those waiting to go inside were probably going to the 8pm show. A tad too early!







The central subject of the show - an egg. Hence the name Ovo! Ovo means "egg" in Portuguese.




The Cirque du Soleil and Canadian flags were being flown right at the top of the tents. Here - I could see the Cirque du Soleil flags.




After hanging around for a while, I decided that it was time to walk back. So here are some shots of the tent in the distance, just as I started making my way back.






And a couple more shots of Langley Park as the sun began to set.





Decided to walk back to the train station instead of taking the bus - for more exercise of course! And I ended up passing by the Government House. I've been there twice, and it looks gorgeous both from the inside and from the outside.






It got dark really early, so by the time I reached the city itself, it was completely dark. Well - that meant I had more opportunities to take night scenes! So I did - right in front of the new fountains outside the Commonwealth Bank building. Gorgeous purple lights!





Just a few days before my exam, I felt that I was getting nowhere with studying. So I went out with two friends, and we had a really awesome photoshoot session. Our venue was Matilda Bay - right next to the University of Western Australia (UWA).





Near UWA - there are lots of boat houses, and people were actively engaging in outdoor activities like sailing and BBQs. It was just a relaxed weekend. And it was unusually warm for a winter's day.








Passed by the famous Crawley Edge Boat Shed - affectionately known as the Little Boat House. Not much is known about this, except that it was built in the 1930s. It is currently owned by UWA, and is still in use. It's an icon in this area, and not too far from it, there's a statue nicknamed Eliza - who gets dressed up in all sorts of clothing to commemorate different occasions.






The Little Boat House is light blue under the sun. It definitely blends in well with its surroundings!

This effect was achieved by zooming completely out - using my wide-angle lens.




The Boat Shed is accessible by a boardwalk, which also gives us lots of good opportunities to take pics. So here we go!







Put my camera on the boardwalk and this was what I got! I kinda like the effect :)




Anyway, we couldn't bear to leave the Little Boat House...as it was so therapeutic to be there. Look what the colour blue does to us! The colour blue naturally signifies calmness (aka "Keep Calm and Carry On"), and that was what we did! Well - in the end we did head off to UWA for more photos...but yeah, here's the last 2 pictures I took of the Little Boat House.





Will update with UWA pictures and more shenanigans soon!