Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Absolute indulgence!

OK - on second thoughts, I decided to post some pics of Fremantle first, before going back to posting pics of Singapore. 

It was 25 degrees Celsius the other day - unusual for winter - and to make it better, we had really beautiful clear skies! So I decided to head to Fremantle - to escape those horrid assignments (never liked assignments anyway!), and to enjoy my weekend. After all, I just finished one of my assignments and was ready to chill out.

Started off at the Esplanade Reserve - near the fishing boat harbour. I spotted these colourful containers, but didn't know what they were for, until I went closer...and found out that they were for bike repairs. I think some people set up a bike repair shop in the containers. The name's pretty cool too - 'dismantle'. Rhymes perfectly with 'Fremantle'. 





Carriage Cafe - a cafe created from a train carriage, and established in 1912, nestled amongst tall Norfolk pine trees. A really popular spot for people to hang out over the weekend over a cup of coffee - while enjoying the wonderful sunshine. Al fresco dining is really popular here in Australia - especially in Fremantle. And I really enjoy it!

I'm definitely going to try Carriage Cafe one day. I heard it's really good, and has awesome food. Should come up with a list of cafes to visit!




Highlight of the day - the giant Ferris wheel - rising 15 storeys above the ground (aka the Skyview Wheel), built in 2007. This Ferris wheel is a major attraction in the Esplanade reserve as well. It's situated right opposite the Little Creatures Brewery and other major restaurants along the harbour.

Being really curious - and wanting to find out if I could get good views of Fremantle from the Ferris wheel - I spontaneously went to grab a ticket for myself. Best part - I managed to get a whole gondola to myself! The gondola was spacious and really comfortable...





I reckon the ride lasted about 10-15 minutes, but it was definitely more than enough for me. If I'm not wrong, the wheel turned 3 or 4 times. Anyway I was too engrossed in taking pics to notice!

Well well well - check out the view!! This ride was definitely worth it! When the wheel paused for a moment, I turned...and was pleasantly surprised. Such an excellent vantage point for me to take pics! When I was right at the top, I literally had a 360-degree view of the surroundings, including the Fishing Boat Harbour (and its major restaurants), the Customs House area (O'Connor Landing), and other landmarks! I even had wonderful views of the Esplanade Reserve down below!











Although the ride wasn't very long, I still enjoyed myself thoroughly. I intend to go up the Ferris wheel during sunset - now that would be a really magical experience!






Mandatory hot chocolate from Theobroma. I'm officially a Theobroma (and hot chocolate) addict. I go there almost every week for a dose of rich dark hot chocolate. And sometimes I even get extra chocolate flakes sprinkled in!





Al fresco dining along the famous Cappuccino Strip. Well - al fresco dining is superb when the weather is good! Check out the lovely blue skies! No polarising filter, I swear!





Settled for mushroom pasta at La Porchetta before heading off for some more adventures. I decided to head to the Western Australian Shipwreck Museum for a visit (also spontaneous!). More to that soon!




And after my visit to the museum, I walked around Cliff Street - a major landmark in Fremantle. Cargo from the sea used to be loaded and transported along Cliff Street, when the harbour was first established. Many old buildings still remain, and they've since been restored and converted for various purposes. Some of these buildings form part of the Notre Dame University campus.








Lionel and Samson Company Pty Ltd building. Only the front facade remains - the back has been rebuilt.






Trying out new things at the glass door of the former Fremantle Hotel, built in 1899. Now this building is part of Notre Dame University.





Looking down High Street - pretty quiet for a Saturday afternoon! The building on the right used to be called P & O Hotel - originally the Victoria Hotel in the 1870s, but renamed P & O Hotel in 1901. It used to be really popular amongst ship captains. Now it's part of the Notre Dame University campus.

Right next to the former P & O Hotel is the Orient Hotel - built in 1902. It's still used as a bar/hotel now, and is really popular amongst partygoers. And people can sit outside and drink...and enjoy the atmosphere.




Some of the other beautiful heritage buildings which have been converted to faculties and schools (all part of Notre Dame University of course).






The blue and yellow building was the former Sadliers Warehouse/Customs Agency - built in the 1880s. It's now a residential building.




The former Fowler's Warehouse, built between 1899 and 1900. Its also currently part of the University of Notre Dame campus. If I'm not wrong the medical library is in here.

Check out the lovely details on the building!






Yet another beautiful old building next to the former Fowler's Warehouse. And this is a reason why I love Fremantle - so many heritage buildings!




A week before I visited the Ferris wheel, I actually went to visit the Western Australian Maritime Museum. And I bought a cute little bag of treasures - containing pyrite! I've always been pretty interested in rocks and minerals - and was so delighted when I managed to get a whole bag of pyrite!





Bought some semi-precious stones from the WA Shipwreck Museum too. This cute little bag contains tumbled semi-precious stones like turquoise, rock crystal, amethyst, and so on!




And I guess that ends today's post. Back to posting Singapore pics in the next one!