Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 19, 2013

Soakin' up the Singapore sun...

Was in Singapore for two weeks - straight after my Melbourne trip! Took the opportunity to escape the gloomy weather and head back for some tropical sun. Funny thing is - it rained for the whole of the first week I was there. The skies only cleared up when I did a pre-wedding photoshoot for my friend and her fiancee! And even so, it was still quite cloudy. Anyway...the weather conditions kinda worked in my favour! 

Here are some behind-the-scenes pics. We started the day at Seletar Reservoir. It was quite a spontaneous decision...but we went there because of this tree - it looks almost perfectly symmetrical hey?




The tree soon became one of our 'props' for the day, and we did have a wooden heart stuck on the branch for some of our pictures! There weren't many people that day, so we spent quite some time there. It was my first time to Seletar Reservoir anyway!




Had lunch at Blu Couzina - a Greek restaurant with a Santorini-like theme. Guess what - the owner is from Santorini! And he was so happy when I told him that Santorini was on my priority list.

Anyway we had really good bread, wraps and spinach rice! Food arrived really fast too!






Check out the blue and white theme around the place! Even the water glasses are a gorgeous dark blue.








The restaurant had 3 floors, and each of the stairways were lined with cans after cans of olive oil!




Some adorable decorations I spotted along the landings...and in the bathroom.





We went to what was left of the train tracks linking Singapore to Malaysia. This route was used frequently by people travelling to and from Malaysia till about 2011. The original terminus was situated at Tanjong Pagar (not too far away), but right now the old terminus has been shut down. People now depart from another terminus in Woodlands.

The railway tracks weren't long...but provided enough space for us to take some decent pictures!






Cooled down at Haagen-Dazs - my favourite ice-cream place. And then we bought balloons!

Headed to Portsdown Road area for some more pics....mainly because of some swings, and the old buildings. This area was a really quiet place, and I didn't see many people in sight. It's a part of Singapore which I wouldn't normally go to, but on that day, we decided to head there for some swing shots.






Ended the day at the beach, and the balloons were eventually set free...as the sun began to set. One thing good about Singapore - the sun sets pretty late! So that gives us lots of time to take pics.




Few days after that epic photoshoot (trust me, I crashed straightaway that night!), I went to Lower Peirce Reservoir. Lower Peirce Reservoir is about 20 minutes away from the James Cook University campus, and it is really easy to get to.

This was actually the first time I went to Lower Peirce Reservoir as a grown-up. Previously, when I was a kid, my dad would bring me there. I don't remember much about the reservoir, but I definitely have quite a strong impression of the surroundings in general!







Lower Peirce Reservoir was commissioned in 1912, and named after Robert Peirce in 1922. It's one of the oldest reservoirs in Singapore, and of course, there's a nature trail nearby, with trees that are over 100 years old - these include oil palms and rubber trees. Singapore used to be largely covered in plantations - and these trees serve to remind us of those colonial days.




The water pumping station at Lower Peirce. It still retains its original architecture, and shows no signs of age. Looks like it has been pretty well-maintained! I used to hang around here and enjoy the peace when I was a kid. We've got quite a lot of pictures of the reservoir!







Decided to take a walk along this track here. There weren't many people (considering that it was around midday...) - and that's the main reason why I was here. I wanted to enjoy the tranquil atmosphere...and just the night before, I had finished up a draft for an upcoming publication. So yep - good time to chill out!





Reached this concrete walkway - and I presume it's a bridge that links to the other side of the reservoir. Anyway, there's a golf course opposite this walkway, and this bridge provided good views of it. I could see some people practicing their skills in the golf course too!






Intricate patterns on the wooden benches lining the pathway. It's in the shape of a lion! Well - not surprising, considering that Singapore was known as the Lion City in the past...




Soaking up some Vitamin D...and strolling around the rocky shores. What a lovely afternoon! Oh - and I saw a bunch of Mediacorp folks filming a drama. I couldn't recognise the actress, but I remembered seeing the actor (Yao Wen Long) in a number of Mediacorp dramas!








By the time I finished exploring the reservoir, I had 3 blisters - from wearing flip-flops instead of proper walking shoes. So the rest of the journey was quite a struggle as I had to deal with those awful blisters!

Decided to do a final round of exploring, and I ended up on this slope, where I had great glimpses of the reservoir. Sat and chilled out for a bit. I also spotted an old colonial house along the way - which was still pretty much intact. Not too sure what it was used for though.






The intricate metalwork on the lamp posts. Really reminds me of those colonial days! I've seen similar designs around Melbourne and the older parts of Singapore.





And off I went...to grab some cold drinks, and to head back home of course! Spent some time nursing those awful blisters...and got two more the day after! Ah wells!




More Singapore pics will be coming up soon! :)