Powered By Blogger

Sunday, August 04, 2013

Melbourne Part 6: Marco! and more city pics

Gonna start off today's post with pics of Marco - my friend's new kitten! Marco's about 5-6 months old now, but he still exhibits lots of kitten-like behaviours. His voice has not "broken" yet - so he squeaks instead of meows...and it is really, really adorable! Oh and he is really hyperactive. He gave me quite a lot of friendly bites and scratches! 

Here he is - looking cute in front of the camera, with his Puss in Boots imitation. Really convincing!




Marco followed me EVERYWHERE! He was such an affectionate little guy, rubbing all over me and snuggling up to me. He even tried to follow me into the bathroom when I went for a shower. Turned out that his litter box was in the bathroom too! Anyway, I "ushered" him out of the bathroom as I didn't want him to get wet! So he waited outside...and greeted me with more kisses!

And at night, when I was lying on the couch trying to sleep, I could hear Marco exploring the apartment. He jumped on me a few times and I woke up to cuddle him. Eventually he got tired, and ended up snuggling between my friend (Marco's owner) and me. He even used my hip bone as a pillow! He was such a happy boy - purring and snoring away as he slept.

The next morning, he was back to his hyperactive self. The minute I woke up, I saw him staring down at me, from the table. He had hopped up there pretty early.






Marco then snuggled up with me in his favourite furry blanket (which actually belongs to my friend). He loves to bury his face in this blanket and knead it with his paws...so adorable!

He was in "model mode" when I was there though! So he ended up posing quite a lot.








Back on the table he went - and posed some more!




At one point he got fascinated with my camera strap and reached out to try to catch it...and that was how I got the picture below! This is probably my favourite shot of all the pics I took of him. Shows how kitten-like he still is!




After saying goodbye to Marco (for now!), my friend and I met up with my friend's grandma, and the three of us went to the Hollywood Costume Exhibition, at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (ACMI). The exhibition features some of the most popular Hollywood outfits of all time, including that of Audrey Hepburn's in Breakfast at Tiffany's, Marilyn Monroe's signature halter neck dress in The Seven Year Itch, Superman's signature costume (the one worn by Christopher Reeve), a dress with shoulder pads that Joan Crawford wore, some costumes worn by Marlene Dietrich, Scarlett O'Hara's green dress (made from curtains) from Gone with the Wind...and of course, the blue gingham dress that Judy Garland wore in The Wizard of Oz! Amazing exhibition indeed! Unfortunately we weren't allowed to take pics in the venue. But here's a link to the event: http://www.acmi.net.au/hollywood-costume.aspx.

We had lunch at Beer DeLuxe - a small eatery on the other side of ACMI.






I've always been pretty fascinated by the architecture of ACMI. Check out the windows and the ceiling! And the shapes!




The entrance was equally interesting. Instead of a conventional door, they had an open entrance made up of a giant inflated balloon-like thingy with partitions to match the patterns on the glass and ceiling.







Stepped outside for a while, to take pictures of the busy street and the huge ACMI sign outside.





Spotted this really beautiful building right next to St Paul's cathedral. Kinda surprised how I managed to miss it after so many years of living in Melbourne. Maybe I was focusing less on architecture at that time.




My friend's grandma had to catch the train back to her hometown - and it was a regional train which arrived hourly at Flinders Street station. So we crossed Federation Square to send her back to the station. And I took the opportunity to take some snapshots :)






Also had a chance to take a few city shots when we went over to Minotaur (a giant merchandise store) to look at movie merchandise. Minotaur is so awesome, I swear! It has EVERYTHING. Literally everything!







Later that day, we headed to Melbourne Central for train sushi! Aka sushi that came to us on a conveyor belt. I had 7 plates of sushi that day. Including my favourite unagi sushi and seaweed sushi!









One last pic of the massive clock hanging in Melbourne central before we headed downstairs...




And because this was so cute, I HAD to have a picture of it! Dumb ways to die...FTW!!!




In the next post, I'll be putting up pics of our day trip to the historical town of Steiglitz. Do stay tuned!