Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 05, 2013

Market Hopping!

This is quite a backdated post! I took all these pics when my buddy flew in to visit from Brisbane - and then went market-hopping with me to two of the most popular markets in Perth. We headed to the Fremantle Markets and the Station Markets (Subiaco).

First up - Fremantle Markets - built in 1897. The market was used as a wholesale and produce market till the 1950s, and was altered to accommodate small stalls and eateries in the 1970s. Currently the Fremantle Markets open only on Fridays and weekends, and is really popular amongst tourists and locals. It is also now heritage listed.




We entered the Fremantle Markets via a side entrance along South Terrace, opposite the Sail and Anchor Hotel - another heritage-listed place which is now a very popular hangout spot for people on weekends.

Went to the food hall straightaway. There weren't many people that day - but we had a really good glance around. I have gone back a few times ever since, and the stalls are pretty much the same. I've tried the Spanish paella in the Markets, and it was so delicious! Also had some juice from the juice stall, and of course, took pics of the sausages on sale.





The main market itself. Stalls on the left of this pic sold nuts, organic products and so on, while the stalls on the right were mostly selling fruits. Lots of different fruits were being featured! My buddy and I bought a whole bunch of persimmons and made a really gorgeous bowl of fruit salad the next day! Eventually my buddy brought one persimmon back home with her, while I finished the rest. Fruit salads are awesome!

Check out the variety of the fruits available! Each stall had pretty similar fruits, but some of them had additional perks, such as fresh veggies and so on. I should come to Fremantle Markets to do my groceries someday.

I had a really nice time taking pics in the market - since this was my first proper visit to the market. Usually I hung around the crafts area; now I was in the food area! Of course, I went back multiple times after this trip.










Side shops on the fringes of the markets, in the crafts hall. This area has got lots of handmade goods - such as bracelets, hair wraps and so on. And of course, some stalls sell Australian souvenirs - pretty unique! There is a photography shop (featured in the right corner of this pic) - and I've been in there a couple of times. Pretty good collection of pics from various parts of Western Australia!





Food shops. This ramen place - featured here - is very, very, very popular. It occupies a tiny shop space, yet so many people still patronise the shop. Of course, many end up waiting for ages but it is always worth the wait. I've been to the ramen place - their ramen is just heavenly! I was lucky that I didn't have to wait too long too!




Ending off with a pic of Fremantle Markets - all lit up at night. It was supposed to be late night shopping that day, so the markets were open till around 8 I think! 

Nowadays I usually go to the Markets to take a look at the crafts and to enjoy my favourite paella! The other day, I also realised that they've got a colourful piano - free for people to play! So I had a really good time. Later on I realised that the piano could be booked for jamming sessions and all. Now that gives me a really good idea! Lightbulb moment! :)




And that's it for Fremantle Markets - for now. Moving on to Subiaco Markets......

Subiaco is an inner suburb in Perth, named after Subiaco in Italy. Some attractions include the Regal Theatre, Mueller Park...and of course, the Station Street Markets - which my buddy and I visited together. Station Street Markets - like the Fremantle Markets - is a weekend market, and is also highly popular.






Check out the food area in the Station Street Markets! It is MASSIVE. They literally have food from all over the world - Vietnamese, Lebanese, Moroccan, Chinese, Indian, Japanese, Spanish, Italian, even Ethiopian.....gosh I was so spoilt for choices! I eventually settled for some Indian pappadum as starters...




And eventually went for Spanish paella as my main course. I was debating between the Italian and Spanish stalls...but was really hungry, so I went for Spanish paella.




BUT...I couldn't resist the chilli mussels on sale, although I didn't pick those as my main course. So I went for some of these.

I can officially announce that Subiaco Station Street Markets' chilli mussels are the BEST EVER! Best chilli mussels I have EVER tasted. They're just the right size, just the perfect spice, and the sauce is heavenly! And of course - they make it easier to "drink" the sauce by providing us free bread! So - imagine heavenly chilli mussels plus heavenly bread plus heavenly sauce...oh gosh, even typing this makes me drool......





Unfortunately I haven't gone back to Station Street Markets for a while - but I will do so soon! I really want to taste the chilli mussels again...and I'd like to taste this wonderful marinara mix too! Chilli mussels will still be my top choice though! As I said - BEST CHILLI MUSSELS EVER! I really really need another dose of those chilli mussels again!




Went over to the main market for a walk too. The market itself was smaller than Fremantle Markets in terms of land area, but they had a really impressive variety of fruits.....as you can see from the pics below......













There were quite a lot of veggie varieties too, and they were all so fresh! Many people were frantically grabbing fruits and veggies though - presumably because they look so gorgeous.

Speaking of capsicum...I finally had my fair share of capsicum! Was so happy when I finally had it - and the recipe I used was so successful that I finished every single bit of it. No leftovers! Note to self - capsicum is highly addictive...but SO GOOD.....






I also had a pleasant surprise when I saw Singapore orchids on sale! :)




We had some time, so we went to explore the Regal Theatre a bit. Guess what - I managed to catch the Swan Lake show - featured in the 2nd pic below! It was so amazing...especially the second act. And of course - it was by St Petersburg Ballet Company, choreographed by Konstantin Tachtin. Absolutely amazing.

Unfortunately I didn't manage to catch "Thoroughly Modern Millie"....but its ok! I prefer the movie version with Dame Julie Andrews in it! She is awesome!






Ending off with a quote from Elizabeth's Bookshop...and a couple of pics from Canning Bridge - taken when we were on our way to the Markets.






And that's it for now! Do stay tuned for my next post! :)