Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 22, 2014

Fremantle Festival Parade Part 1: Street Drawing and Wispy Sunset




Yup - we've got a case of bipolar weather again...check out the two pictures above! The first was taken early this week when I went to uni to settle some applications...and the second was taken just one day after. Right now it's late spring, but to be honest, it feels more like early spring! It's still pretty chilly these days (well, to me, anything below 25 degrees is chilly!)...

Bipolar weather aside...I've been really, really busy these days. But the good thing is - I finally got past yet another milestone in my studies! Managed to complete and submit a major application in the middle of the week, just a day before the actual deadline - it was meant to be completed earlier but there were some delays that occurred suddenly, so things got held back. The day of submission was such a mad rush! Fortunately I kept calm and carried on...and managed to get everything straightened out! 

So - while waiting for the outcome of the application, here're some pics I took of the Fremantle Festival. First up - I spotted this "frame" and decided to try my luck with framing the famous Roundhouse. The Roundhouse had been decorated with bright yellow polka dots for the Fremantle Festival, and to be honest, it actually looks cute!




The polka dots are only temporary though - but the Roundhouse stands out more than ever with these polka dots. Here's the temporarily spotty Roundhouse, in its full glory.




Before taking pics of the Fremantle Festival, I went to have a quick bite at my favourite chocolate place (Theobroma Chocolate Lounge).Tried their croissant drizzled with Belgian chocolate, and it was so heavenly!! I've not have croissant since I returned from France...

Anyway - I had to have the "mandatory" hot choc too! When I go to Switzerland at the end of the year, I'm gonna have at least one hot choc per day...





OK back to the festival. I decided to split my posts into two parts - this part here focuses on the street drawing that occurred before the major festival parade...so let's see what happens when you put buckets of chalk at strategic points on the Cappuccino Strip...





I was one of the first who spotted the chalk, and so I went and grabbed some...and I had to write this quote on the pavement...it's one of my favourite quotes ever.

Just a little trivia - I wrote this with my left hand. I normally write with my right hand even though I'm left-handed (trained from young), but in certain circumstances, I end up writing with my dominant hand (left hand).




Moments later, people started coming in, and so the pavement got more colourful...




Some of the other scribbles I ended up creating, as people continued decorating the streets with all sorts of different colours...





Imagine how pleasantly surprised I was when I spotted this treble clef! I didn't draw it - someone else did. But I had to take a picture of it!




Some of the drawings that people have done...these really brightened up the atmosphere! Children and adults were decorating the streets with all sorts of colours, illustrations and so on...












And of course, there were a bunch of children who decided to colour each tile...to create these interesting colour combinations! Too pretty!






Later on, I spotted this chess player who had set up his chessboard outside one of the cafes. So I sat down and had a game with him. Unfortunately I was rusty so I lost (I haven't played chess for at least 10 years). But he told me that I really squeezed his brain juices dry...so I guess I'd need to start playing chess again!




It was clear and sunny for the whole day, but some wispy clouds started coming in - and I decided to stay on to watch the sunset. I love sunsets with wispy clouds!




Here we go - some snapshots of the sunset. I wanted to focus more on the clouds, but ended up zooming in for one of the pics. I've got a collection of sunset pics now - and every sunset looks different.







Gorgeous cirrus clouds behind me - these didn't last long - fortunately I managed to get this shot.




It was so therapeutic, watching the clouds change colour, and watching the waters change colour as well. Good for mindfulness practice (aka my area of research). I was being aware of every passing moment...as I stood on the rocks to enjoy the scenery.

This is officially my new favourite spot. Previously I've got a different spot...now I've shifted.










Spotted this sailboat coming in from the open ocean too. It was going pretty fast, so I had to quickly capture this moment...




In the distance - more wispy bits - of different shapes and sizes. I stayed on till the skies turned dark, and then I headed off for some dinner. It was pretty cold by then, and I didn't bring a jumper (poor life choice indeed)...so I didn't want to stay longer. Note to self - always bring a jumper when going out to the open sea...it does get really cold.










Went home and found that one of my housemates bought a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon (2011) - and she offered me a glass. So we sat down for a bit and had a really good chat. She's now travelling around Southeast Asia, and I do miss her company!! I hope to go to Europe to visit her someday.




Sunsets aside - I went for a Latino Nights Fiesta for three Fridays in a row too! Went with some buddies, and we danced the night away to lively music...and had some great food and drinks! There was a live band and some live performances, and on the first and third nights, the band was just awesome. We literally spent the whole night on the dance floor...after some drinks of course!




Ending off this post with a pic of the best T-shirt I've ever gotten - a customised T-shirt with music instruments on it! I found this T-shirt shop tucked away in Fremantle, and when I walked in, I found that they had these patterned fabric, and when I saw this pattern, I knew I had to get it. I was lucky as I managed to find a plain T-shirt that fitted just right, and so I had the fabric sewn on as a pocket. I wear this T-shirt pretty often nowadays...!!




In the next post, I'll be putting up pictures of the actual Fremantle Festival parade. It was quite an interesting sight, and I had so much fun! I even found a strategic spot to watch it!