Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 10, 2014

Perth Mint and Mrs.S Cafe





Summer is coming...ermmm, maybe not. Weather's been pretty unpredictable these days (as evident from the pics above), to be honest. Check out the different weather conditions I've seen in two weeks!

And I think that may have contributed indirectly to a two-week long bout of cold (in addition to sleep deprivation and many other factors). The past two weeks have been spent sleeping at least 10 hours a day, feeling absolutely fatigued (even walking to uni could sap all the energy out of me...imagine that!), using up packets after packets of tissue paper...and coughing so crazily. Glad that these are all over! I'm almost fully recovered now!

Today's post will be about food...but first - I'll be posting some pics of the Perth Mint - I went there with my mates as they had to buy some gold coin souvenirs...and of course I didn't have to. So I spent some time roaming the Perth Mint grounds...and had a nice time taking pics of the roses!




OK - here are some pics of Perth Mint itself. I usually don't pass by this area, but Perth Mint is a pretty impressive place! One day I'll pay a visit - I heard the gold melting show is really, really cool (oh the irony!). Anyway - here's the outside. Photos aren't allowed inside.









I know I posted a collage earlier in this post - but I still can't help but post close-ups of these roses in their full glory. For some reason I was reminded of my Dijon trip - particularly the day where I went to Jardin Botanique de L'Arquebuse...where I had a field day taking pics of roses! This time - I was braving a drizzle...and taking pics of roses with my phone camera! I'm actually pretty surprised that my phone camera can take decent close-ups! Most of the time, I take close-ups using my dSLR. 

Anyway - the drizzle worked to my advantage, as the droplets on the petals did enhance some of the pics! The roses themselves were in good shape too! 











Now to our main focus - food! Food is awesome in all forms! And even now - I eat A LOT. I wonder how I manage to remain small (some people say "tiny" is a better word) even after consuming so much food...

Today's featured eatery - Mrs.S Cafe - a small cafe tucked away in the suburb of Maylands. Maylands is actually pretty near the Perth CBD, and the cafe itself is right opposite the train station! 





We had to wait for a while before getting a seat - like Piccolo's Corner (which I featured sometime back), Mrs.S had a really small shop space...and is very, very popular. Mrs.S has got consistently high ratings on Urbanspoon, and is regarded as one of the most popular brunch places in Perth. And people were even queueing outside to get a seat! We were fortunate enough to skip the queue...but still had to wait around for a seat anyway.

While waiting, I took some pics of the interior. Mrs.S has got quite a few trinkets too, but the vibe's totally different from Piccolo's Corner. I'd say both are homely, but Piccolo's Corner is more intricate, while Mrs.S works well with simplicity.






The menus are pretty interesting! They're clipped into these old "Little Golden Books". These really remind me of childhood.







And...we finally got a seat! After placing our order, I took some pics of the trinkets on display. These included potted plants, aprons, oven mittens...and many more.









Had the best scrambled eggs in town for brunch! The chutney that went along with it was equally delicious - so good that I had to have it on its own! Not to mention - the toast and mushrooms were just heavenly! I'd definitely go back to Mrs.S for another brunch trip - someday. I really love the texture and the taste of the scrambled eggs. Not too milky, not too dry. Not too lumpy, not too salty. To sum up - the scrambled eggs were just perfect. 





Mrs.S has got a wide variety of pastries too! So I did have a nice time taking pics of the pastries on display...before heading off.

These ranged from coconut-flavoured cakes to muffins to tarts...and each tray had a single flower or petal. I think it's a trademark - flowers are always used for garnishing in this cafe. It's such a good idea! And the flowers themselves are gorgeous!













There were whole cakes on display too - and beautifully decorated with flowers, icing and all.






The pastries were so beautiful but I just didn't have space to fit in anymore food! I'll go back to Mrs.S someday - to taste some of the pastries and to have another round of scrambled eggs :)

Ending off this post with a quote I found in Fremantle recently:




More pics to come in the near future! Do stay tuned! :)