Powered By Blogger

Sunday, November 02, 2014

Fiery Skies

Woke up last Monday morning with an awful throat infection (it made my throat feel as if it was on fire)...and was pretty much drifting in and out of sleep for the whole of Monday and Tuesday. In fact, I slept at least 10 hours every night for the whole week. I had a bad runny nose and cough throughout the rest of the week, and the symptoms only started subsiding today. 

I think I slept at least 12 hours on Monday night, woke up feeling absolutely horrible on Tuesday (but went to uni anyway), and then came back to take a nap - which ended up being around 2 hours long, instead of the original intended 30 minutes. Looks like my body really needed the rest! 

After the long nap, I felt that I really needed fresh air...and some food! I felt quite groggy even after the nap, but really needed to do something. All I thought of was hot chocolate...and my favourite chocolate lounge was closing early that day. So I went for some hot chocolate to get rid of hunger pangs...and couldn't resist a chocolate cake to go along with it as well. 





Although it's close to late spring, and the weather was quite warm, I felt kinda cold...so I was all bundled up. But I'm glad I actually walked out of my room...and to the beach...because I spotted my favourite cloud formation along the way, to the beach! Immediately, I knew that I'd be getting a dramatic sunset.










Walked over to the fishing boat harbour for a better view of the wispy clouds. By then, the altocumulus clouds (the "mackerel scales" pattern above) were starting to dissipate, leaving behind wispy bits. Of course, there were some remaining altocumulus clouds near the fishing boat harbour, but those didn't last long either.







I could see the Maritime Museum and some of the other iconic Fremantle landmarks from where I was standing...all bathed in beautiful golden light...






When I was taking these pics, I heard some guys chatting from the rocks below. Apparently they were fishing...and were talking about their catch for the day. So I shifted positions...and ended up getting a pic of one of them, against the backdrop of the ocean and the Maritime Museum area.





The winds were pretty strong, since I was exposed to the open ocean...but it was totally worth braving! The view was so amazing...and it was so fun watching the skies "catch fire" and turn into this brilliant bright orange...












The "aftermath" of the sunset was just as beautiful. The clouds surrounding the sun gradually turned into a brilliant orange...and the orange hue actually lasted pretty long...







Long enough for me to switch lens (and focus) towards a different part of the ocean - where the rocks separated the actual fishing boat harbour from the open ocean. The view was just amazing. The winds were stronger now, and it was certainly chilly, but I decided to continue braving it anyway...and it really paid off, to be honest. It was fun watching the skies change colour, from a lighter orange to this amazing deep orange colour...










Ah yes - this gives a general idea of the transition from light orange, to darker orange, to a brilliant reddish-orange, and finally the orange colour disappears, leaving behind greyish hues...








When I switched back to my wide angle lens, I realised that the clouds "contributing" to the brilliant orange hues formed this beautiful radiating pattern...it looked somewhat like a flame! Such a beautiful sight - that just couldn't be resisted. And of course, the transition from sunset to nightfall was quite clear here. So I braved more winds, and took more pics of this cloud formation, while the light lasted...






Eventually it got too dark and I had to head off. So I went for some prawn pasta - as I was craving for it. While waiting, I took some pics of the lionfish again - because I was so determined to get a pic of this small orange one here...succeeded in the end! 






And this pic really reminds me of Halloween - speaking of which, its already November! Gosh!




Ending off this post with a little sneak peek of what's coming next! Do stay tuned!