Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

From City to Sea

3...MORE...DAYS......!!!!!! *drools*



WHEEWWWW!!!!! Written exams are finally over! One big load off my mind! But there's 1 major consequence I've to bear from writing so much and playing piano straight after - STRAIN INJURY. Yep - felt this sharp, stabbing pain from my thumb to my palm straight after my last written exam, and before the exam I did have some sore spots here and there but didn't pay much attention to it. The sharp stabbing pain didn't go away till a few hours later, but by then my hand was still sore. It's much better today, but still feels a little stiff.

Anyway back to where I left off last entry. I put some pics from the City to Sea event before, but here's the main collection.

Found some adorable ducklings in Royal Park - the park opposite my residential hall, a few days back too! And they were initially clustered around 1 rock, looking extremely adorable and fuzzy. Their parents returned shortly after though, and they were highly supervised while they explored - with their parents keeping a close lookout.










And moving on to the City to Sea event, organised jointly by Westpac and The Age. We got free copies of The Age after the event.



We left college at about 8am but there were soooooo many people at the venue by then! They had a short warm-up session, and here - I caught someone talking on his mobile while the rest were warming up :P My friend (who was running) was somewhere in the crowd.



This is only like 1/1,000 of the number of people there. No kidding.




Ushers hanging around, ensuring that people do not trample each other (I guess). They were pretty nice.



And then I found a strategic spot at the starting line.

Someone else had already found a spot too, and she was snapping pictures. Her camera even matched the colour of the starting area.



Red group - the people who aimed to finish the run within a shorter period of time. Mostly hardcore runners, long-distance runners and sportspeople. They went first, followed by the green group, then finally the yellow group.





There were St John Ambulance first-aiders stationed all over too.



And that's when the actual race kicked off.






Not too far away, there was a mini-band playing live music.





Trammed down to the finishing point after that - after waiting for the tram for at least half an hour! Fortunately I met a fellow photographer who trammed down with me.

By then some of the people from the red group had finished, and they were just hanging around, cooling off.



Some people specially dressed in costumes, and were also interacting with spectators and those who came along to support their family/friends.






The bags/valuables etc of the runners.



And of course - the Funk Buddies! Live band playing at St Kilda Beach! They were amazing...especially the sousaphone. I've never seen a sousaphone up close before - only in pictures - but wow!




There were also volunteers handing out food in some of the tents.



1 more pic of the Funk Buddies before moving on to the finish line.



And here was the fail moment - I thought that THIS area was the finish line, as people were streaming in and collecting their newspapers/bags....





Apparently not! So I ended up waiting for my friend for half an hour (and vice versa for her)! Luckily we found each other.

Some shots of the beach - some runners even went to cool off at the beach after finishing.






And on our way back, we saw this adorable kitty sleeping under his pawprint blanket. Turned out that his owner was a vendor of the Big Issue, and that his name was Cougar. He was extremely docile, and was happy to have lots of attention from us.



And I guess that sums up the trip!