Powered By Blogger

Monday, August 20, 2012

Palawan Beach

Racing with the clock...to crank out as much as I can for this research project.  I've had quite a number of all-nighters already, and they haven't been pleasant.  Anyway here I am again, taking a break from looking at the output from my statistics.  It has been quite a tough journey - ever since I started data analysis...but I can roughly see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Roughly...or maybe I've become too goggle-eyed to see that light! 

I shall start off with interesting stuff I saw in the city a while ago.  Can't believe that I've been in Perth for nearly a month now, and I've only gone out TWICE during the semester.  By right it should be 4 times.  But oh well, schoolwork comes first.

There was quite a fail moment the other day at Woolworths.  I was shopping for stuff and spotted this blunder here, on one of the price tags - instead of $3.48 per kg, it became $348 per kg...




And a really good quote outside one of the churches near London Court...

I wonder if they actually change quotes every now and then?




OK back to what we're going to focus on today - Palawan Beach.  In Singapore, that is!  Apologies for the delays...I've been really really bogged down by schoolwork, especially with this thesis.

I shan't say the weather was absolutely awesome on the day I headed to Palawan Beach, as there were lots of cloudy periods and it threatened to rain.  But hey, it was a good walk nonetheless!  I've not been to Palawan Beach since 2010, and it was good to go there again.




Decided to take a walk across the bridge to the islet on the other side.  Apparently it's known as "the Southernmost Tip of Continental Asia" - being located 136 kilometres north of the Equator.  Mainland Singapore is around 137 kilometres north of the Equator.

But for now, I stayed around to take some pictures of the main beach.









I eventually crossed the bridge to the other side...and believe me, this bridge was swinging from side to side! There were other people trying to cross it too, and the bridge was so narrow that we had to give way to each other.  Which was kinda hard because my camera bag was chunky.  Anyway...I made it across.




They always say "the grass is greener on the other side".  I should say, "the sands seem whiter on the other side"! :)

Well...in actual fact, I guess they're the same colour.  After all the main beach and the islet seem so close together!  I think you could actually swim from the main beach to the islet...but I didn't want to try that.







Ended up chilling out for quite a long while on the islet, and walking around looking for good places to take pictures.  The islet itself wasn't that big, and part of it was blocked off.

View of part of the islet, the bridge and the main beach...




Not too far away, facing the open sea...there was a couple chilling out under the shelter.




There were some children playing in the water too, with their mothers close by.  At this point in time, the rain clouds were starting to come in and I thought I'd be rained on.  Fortunately it didn't happen.  So far I've never been rained on at the beach...




Random people attempting to sunbathe in quite interesting positions...one was just "planking" on a rock, while the other looked as if she were meditating...





Probably the last shot of a clear blue sky before MORE rain clouds came in.




It's funny how weather conditions changed so drastically.  When I first went to the beach, the sun was gorgeous.  Now...the sky was overcast...

And the sky stayed overcast as I snapped these pictures...






Sky kinda cleared up a little around here.  Anyway...I was kinda reluctant to leave as I simply enjoyed chilling out on the beach albeit the warmth.  So I decided to take one more walk around before heading back.









I think some students were having a canoeing course here...or was it kayaking?!  Anyway they kept capsizing their boats.  They also had a safety course where they had to learn how to save drowning people from the sea.








While walking around the island (Sentosa) a little more, I came across these sand sculptures.  There were a number of people who were working hard on them, and their efforts truly paid off!  These sculptures were just amazing!  They were supposed to depict different aspects of Sentosa.










Passed by the Merlion, and I couldn't resist attempting to take pictures of the waterfall below the Merlion...using a slow shutter speed of course.  It somehow makes the waterfall look more interesting...and adds texture and dimension to it.







And that's the famous Merlion!  I remembered going up the Merlion when I was 12, but subsequently I've never been up there.  Might try it again one day!





Ended up taking the Sentosa Express back, and was standing outside Food Republic, drooling.  Unfortunately it was too late for lunch, so I took away a water chestnut drink and enjoyed it thoroughly.  Good news is - I had dinner with my brother shortly after, so that took away the hunger pangs. :)




Speaking of hunger pangs...I miss Hokkien Mee terribly!!!!  The last time I had Hokkien Mee was in late July, the day before I flew back to Perth.  I'm aware that there's a Hokkien Mee place in Spencer Village, which is kind of far away from where I stay.  Might actually Google Maps it, and see if I could get there by bus.





Right, that's it for now!  I've to get back to my thesis!  Till then, will see you guys soon!