Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 04, 2012

Waterfront Walk

After I went to the URA exhibition (mentioned briefly in the post "Back in Perth") I went for a walk along the new Dragonfly Lake at Gardens by the Bay, and also to explore the newly built waterfront area where the conservatories (at Gardens by the Bay) were.  It had been raining quite a fair bit, and just before I left for Perth, it was sunny again.  And as I'm typing this, Perth is kinda rainy.  Hope the weather gets better in Perth and hope it warms up soon!

Started off at this point here, just below the Dragonfly Bridge - one of the main entrances to the Gardens.






And here's the Dragonfly Bridge on the left of the picture.  The famous Supertrees (the highlight of Gardens by the Bay) were seen from virtually all parts of the lake.  The lake itself is kinda small too.




The Supertrees were concentrated at different parts of the gardens, and there were 3 of them near the 2 conservatories.





There were very few people around on that day, since it was a Monday.  The only other person I saw on the same trail was a young man who was also taking pictures every now and then.

Oh, and speaking of which, I forgot to bring a water bottle and a hair tie, so it was sweltering hot.  Luckily I wasn't wearing dark colours, or I'd have been well and truly fried.

Took a number of pictures of the lake and the surroundings...










Supertrees everywhere.  The main canopy's located across the lake.






The same photographer I spotted (walking the same trail as me) was heading towards the waterfront, where he could get pictures of the Singapore River.  So I decided to follow him as well.

It was a pretty good choice actually!  The view was pretty good.  And it didn't stop there...





Because I realised I was standing right in front of one of the conservatories!  By the looks of it, this one was housing exotic plants and rare plants, and I could see quite a number of people in there.  I've decided to reserve my trips to the conservatories when I next come back.

But I was really awed by the looks of it all.  The conservatory is just...gorgeous.  Sophisticated and gorgeous.  The blue skies just complemented it all, and made it look so surreal.  For one moment I thought I was wandering into somewhere unreal.  I was like...WOW....

And yes, that means I'd really like to explore this part of the Gardens again.  And take more pictures of course!









Turned back and realised that the conservatory was gorgeous...AT ALL ANGLES.  Including this angle here - where I could see the Singapore Flyer and its neighbours.






Oh and just to digress a little, I got Adobe Photoshop CS4 a while ago (yes I know I'm incredibly slow and it sounds weird for a photographer not to have Adobe Photoshop!), and I was having fun with the gadgets it offered.  One of them was the "Posterise" filter, and I've used it here.




By the time I walked around the conservatory, I ended up at this part...and decided to take out my polarising filter...which I had not used for a long time.







Stopped for a drink and some shade...and ended up sitting amongst a group of lions.  Lion sculptures, I mean!  Children were climbing on them and their parents were taking pictures too.






Wanted to go further but that area was still under construction, so I decided to head back to where I started.







And that's where the polarising filter came in handy!  I had a nice time adjusting it, just to find out which shade of blue I liked the most.  Oh, and it didn't only emphasise the blue sky...it made the white beams stand out even more too!









And here I am - back to where I started.  I'm still in awe.






Part of the Chinese-inspired part of the gardens along the same lake.  The rocks were carved in different shapes, and this part was designed to look like a typical Chinese garden.  To be honest, I've NEVER been to the Chinese Gardens in Jurong...even though I was born and bred in Singapore.  My parents took their wedding pictures there, and I intend to explore the Chinese Gardens in Jurong when I next return.







Last few pictures of the Supertrees and their surroundings before I left.






And I guess that's it for now!  I'd better get back to my readings before they continue to pile!