Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 23, 2012

The Ultimate Maritime Trip Part 2: Bather's Beach

Part 2 of the Ultimate Maritime Trip series!  In this part, we'll focus on Bather's Beach - a small beach located near the fishing boat harbours and near the Roundhouse...yet so popular amongst so many enthusiasts like me!  Here it is - from the Roundhouse.




But first...back to the Roundhouse!  I couldn't resist going back to take a few more pictures of the place!  Oops..."a few" is kind of a massive understatement...anyway I'm so glad I chose to use the wide-angle lens most of the time, for this round!  In total, I went to the Roundhouse 3 times.  Walked past it countless times, but entered it 3 times.  Entry's by gold coin donation.  It's such a rich, historical place.

Oh and I should really thank the volunteers I met - for providing me with so much knowledge!  I really enjoy every single trip there, and each time I go there, I pick up new stuff, including picture-taking ideas.






Found this really interesting comic hanging on the wall, just near the donations place.




There was a French tour group in the area that day, and I also helped them take a group photo.  It seems as if the stocks wasn't too popular today.  I didn't really want to be locked up a third time either...

Anyway the stocks wasn't too popular amongst the French tour group, but other tourists eventually chose to get "locked up" in it and it regained its popularity!




Mixing old ideas and new...I still love the picture of the stocks framing the well!  Nifty idea from one of the volunteers!









This empty space was where 4 more rooms (including a bathroom) was supposed to be, but it got demolished.




My wide-angled lens is kind of cranky because it can't auto-focus anymore, but on that day it seemed to be fine.









And here's an idea I thought of - shooting pics of the Roundhouse through one of the windows.  Can't remember how I got the inspiration, but anyway it worked!









And then we go back to the using-door-as-frame idea!





A couple more pictures before I headed down to the beach.  It was a gorgeous 30 degree day, and the volunteers were in high spirits too!  Definitely beats winter blues!





By the time I left the compound, the flags had been lowered.  But the timeball could be seen - ever so clearly.  The timeball was supposed to drop at 1pm everyday...








Down to Bather's Beach I went!  Small beach, but equally nice!

I don't swim in the open sea as I'm a really cautious person, so I stayed on the beach most of the time.  I walked towards the water though, and when the waves crashed against my feet, it was SO COLD!!!




The Western Australian Maritime Museum from Bather's Beach.  I clearly remember our tour around the Submarine Ovens...the famous submarine next to the museum.





See what I mean?  The weather was just...so...GOOD!!!  There weren't many people there, but later on I saw a few more.










Kidogo Arthouse - originally used as a kerosene store.  Besides enjoying the scenery, I also learnt quite a fair bit about Freo's glorious past.




Walking towards the Western Australian Shipwreck Galleries.  Freo has lots of these "Christmas trees" - they're everywhere!  Especially in the Esplanade, which wasn't too far away.  After my tour around the Shipwreck Galleries, I was really tempted to de-tour to Cicerello's, which was not too far away.





Information placards all around the coastal walk.  That's where I got my info from! :)  Anyway there used to be a long jetty extending out to the open sea, but it's now gone forever.







From where I was - you could see the Maritime Museum clearly.  It sure is a major icon of Freo!  I went back there again, but didn't go in - as I was focusing more on the facade and the welcome walls outside the building.  I've been in the Maritime Museum, and it is a really amazing place!




Just as I was taking this picture of 2 men having a convo...




I spotted a vintage sail ship!  It was really cool to see one, and I took out my telephoto lens straightaway.






One of the families brought their pet dog, and he was more than happy to go into the sea to cool off!  He looked really adorable, wading through the waves.  But the most adorable part of him - his colours and markings.  He really has that Aggie look!  Remember Aggie?!  I did so many photoshoots of her!  Here's one of them - nicknamed "Aggie Colours".  Simply because Aggie's black and white.  I really miss Aggie!  I miss Melbourne and everyone in Melbourne, especially my awesome friends from University College!








Rocky shores of the beach, with lots of barnacles and seaweed stuck to it.  No way I'm gonna climb them!





And here's a pic of the waves, just about to crash onto my feet!

The waves were strong, but were quite a pleasant sight.  It took me some time to get used to the cold water, but once I was used to it, it felt really really good!




Gorgeous patterns made by the waves, as they crash against the sand.





That's it for now!  In our next post, I'll post pictures of the Western Australian Shipwreck Galleries.  Do stay tuned!  Gosh I've got so many pictures from the Maritime Trip!  I'll have another series coming up - and this'll be the Convict Trail series, but till then, let's focus on the Maritime Trip series.  I wonder how many posts this one will take.

I'll be going back to Singapore tomorrow, but will post as per normal!  See you next year, Perth!  I'm gonna miss you and Fremantle!