Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 07, 2013

Fremantle Street Arts Festival Day 1

Wow - it's already the middle of semester...and I'm experiencing a massive mid-semester crisis. I've been going to uni everyday for classes, clinical placements AND work! I think I should have a bedroom in uni - or maybe I should convert my workspace into a bedroom! It already has a computer, a big desk and a piano...all I need is to bring a pillow and my blow-up mattress and I can camp there :D





Right...back to today's main topic.

I spent two days last Easter taking pics for the Fremantle Street Arts Festival (read more here, here and here). This year, I was so glad to hear that the Street Arts Festival was back! So I went again.





But first - hunger satisfactions at La Porchetta. I was really famished. So I ordered marinara and garlic bread. It's been a while since I last ate garlic bread...it's just so delicious!








Walked out of the restaurant and spotted this street artist dressed like an angel. She was so sweet!






And I also spotted this mime artist. I honestly think he is gorgeous. Well - under all the face paint of course! And he was good too! He mostly posed willingly, and would try to get people to "drink" with him, as if he was at a bar. He would also smile and wave at kids...and at one point he dropped out of character to get donations. He said, "I know you guys would find it weird that a mime artist is actually TALKING...". Hilarious! Well - miming obviously doesn't involve talking...














Looking down the Cappuccino Strip - which was barricaded specially for the Street Arts Festival. We could walk up and down in the middle of the road! We rarely get to do that - the Cappuccino Strip is always bustling, especially on Friday and Saturday nights!





A 70-300mm telephoto lens is (in my opinion) an essential lens to have for the festival. Well - mainly because of depth of field issues...you'd want the performer to stand out!

Took a test shot using the telephoto lens before everything started. This is actually from the roof of one of the restaurants right in front of me.




First performer I saw - Grant Goldie (hailing from the United Kingdom). Grant Goldie did mainly tricks involving gravity, and he didn't speak throughout. He used a whistle though!

He did a number of tricks with his hat...





And then progressed to blowing up a balloon and spinning it with his finger...




And then he started doing silly things with this piece of rope.






He also pretended to be held back by his big luggage trunk. Each time he wanted to go away, he'd feel "pulled back" by the luggage, so he played along.





He also got some volunteers from the audience to make guest appearances (something I noticed across many performers in fact!)...this one involved spinning a hat on a pen nib.






Oh - and one of his most famous tricks involved balancing acts with a glass ball. He NEVER dropped it. It was amazing to see how he moved the ball from one palm to another.












Seeing the Cappuccino Strip through the glass ball...upside down...




Another signature act of his - doing silly faces! I was promptly reminded of the famous Simon's Cat cartoons on Youtube, when he pointed towards his mouth using his index finger.








Took a quick walk before the next show, and spotted a band performing outside one of the shops. Apparently they're called "The Seals" and they were pretty amazing!




The second performance I watched that day was by Dado (hailing from Canada). Dado's alter ego was the Hunchback of Notre Dame - and he did so by putting big paddings in a trenchcoat. He too - didn't speak, but would make high-pitched gibberish utterances which sent us laughing like mad. Oh, and he made awesome balloon sculptures! He started off by giving simple heart shapes to kids...




And then "transformed" into his alter ego, where he pulled out a "mouse" and did tricks with it.







He would also go into the crowd with a fake knife and pretend to scare kids. Most of them ended up laughing at him though!




He made a flower...and guess what? He got ME to go on stage to receive it...and give him a kiss. It was awkward but I was happy to be part of his act. And he also posed a lot! I still have the flower he gave me.






One of his many facial expressions. At one point he swallowed a balloon (or so we think!), and then produced a balloon sculpture from underneath his coat!




He also got other audience members to join him in making silly faces and some nose-digging shenanigans. Well - all for fun of course! Mostly the kids were involved. They were rewarded with gorgeous balloon sculptures. This girl here got a bicycle made from green and yellow balloons.






I actually saw Dado again the next day - when I was stationed back at the Cappuccino Strip. More to that in the next post!

The next performance I saw was near the fishing boat harbours (another favourite hangout place for me). This involved the Lords of Strut - a dynamic duo from Ireland. I didn't get to see the whole performance, but I managed to catch it the next day.




Walked back to the Cappuccino Strip to catch a bus...and I saw a whole crowd of people gathered outside the Fremantle Markets. I've never seen Freo so crowded before...except during street arts festivals of course!




And that is it for the first day of the Street Arts Festival! Do stay tuned for the next post!