Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Sunset at Bather's Beach/Fishing Boat Harbour

Let's watch the sunset together, shall we?

Last weekend, I went to Fremantle to chill out and purge my mind of all the crap that had accumulated over the past few weeks. I badly needed a break as I was terribly burnt out and had a very irritable attitude. Trust me - I am not that irritable by nature, but when I get stressed out, all the bad things start to appear. Anyway, since I was going for dinner at Fremantle anyway, I decided to head there early to watch the sunset.

Before I headed to the beach, I went over to the fishing boat harbour to take some pics.

My first stop was in front of a sculpture of a fisherman. So I wrote this: 
"As he hoisted the last basket of newly-caught fishes onto his shoulder, he turned...and caught a glimpse of the sunset."






Not too far away from the fisherman was another fisherman - who apparently had a crayfish in his basket. I didn't notice it until one of the kids pointed it out to his dad! The kid even attempted to get the crayfish out of the basket, but the dad had to convince him that this was a sculpture and that the crayfish was fake.






The clouds were really pretty that day. From experience, I knew that the sunset would be pretty dramatic with the clouds and all.










As the sun started to set, the boats were starting to take on an orange hue. At that point, I knew that if I didn't go to the beach quickly enough, I'd miss the sunset and my trip would be wasted!





So I literally dashed across the boardwalk, past the restaurants and the people, and quickly snapped a couple of pictures along the way.






Reached the beach - Bather's Beach...and climbed up some stones in order to get a better view. Being short isn't a good thing...




I was totally awed by the beauty of the sunset and the way the sun went slowly down into the horizon. I was literally taking pictures as the sun went slowly down. I dunno if it's my perception or what, but whenever I watch sunsets, I see the sun move lower and lower - literally!

I deliberately lowered the shutter speed and increased the aperture of my camera to create a bit of a starburst effect - for the sun.







Just as the last bit of the sun was lowering into the horizon, the sky just turned into this gorgeous shade of orange...and even the sea had bits of orange in it! Just in case you were wondering - orange is my favourite colour. The whole sky just turned into a fiery orange colour...







The orange slowly darkened, and turned into a deeper tangerine shade. Then bits and pieces of red started to appear in some of the clouds, while the clouds furthest away from the sun got darker and darker.

There were also some bits of blue sky in between. What a riot of colours, indeed!






Just as the most intense, spectacular moment of the sunset ended, I decided to head down to the beach to get some pics of the waves...and also of the sunset in a different perspective. Well - I had lots of sand in my shoes. Note to self - NEVER wear shoes to the beach!!! I never learn.









The last bit of the sunset seemed to linger for ages...as the skies gradually darkened and the clouds turned from dark grey to pitch black. The moon was starting to be seen now, and it was illuminated really brightly. We had a thin crescent moon that night.







And this is the final part of the sunset before the skies turned completely pitch black. At that point in time, I decided to head over to the restaurants to wait for my friend. The sunset started at about 6pm, and lasted for around 20 minutes. It was pretty fast, but it gave me plenty of photo-taking opportunities.




Passed by a couple of restaurants - mainly Cicerello's and Joe's Fish Shack (which I ALWAYS mistake as Joe's Crab Shack!). People were enjoying themselves and enjoying the gorgeous sea breeze. I admit that it was getting a bit chilly standing near the sea, and heading inland was certainly a good choice for me! I can't really tolerate cold temperatures...even though I've lived in Melbourne for 3 years (and survived 3 winters!), and lived in Perth for 1 year already.





One of my favourite "subjects" for the day was the Ferris wheel on the reserve. I tried taking pics of it spinning...and I do like the effect! Slow shutter speed plus small aperture!





Did a bokeh effect as well...before my friend arrived and we headed off for dinner.




Ending off with dinner for tonight - kimchi fried rice! I was so famished that I finished the whole plate of rice and another bowl of plain white rice! Plus a bowl of miso soup. Gosh I was so bloated!




Hope you've enjoyed watching the sunset with me, here on this tiny space! I certainly did!