Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010


It's been 2 weeks and 1 day since I left the diamond-shaped, sunny little island of Singapore. And it's been about 2 weeks since semester has started!! Whoa, time flies...

I've posted pictures of The Great Mushroom Bloom (it's an unofficial name, actually) this time round. I dubbed it The Great Mushroom Bloom coz of the size of the mushroom "colony" - absolutely massive. It's the biggest I've seen so far.

Up till now, I'm still awed by the number of mushrooms proliferating under just one tree. This really caught my attention, and I stopped and yanked out my camera. I should say I'm really really lucky, and that I was at the right place and the right time. Thanks Ben!! :)

In fact, there were a few people stopping by and looking, and some even took out their cameras and attempted to snap some shots.

Best part is: Although it seems like an ordinary "colony" of mushrooms, it's actually really different from different angles. That is, you tend to see different things from different sides of the "colony". For example, if you view it from the top, you see specks of white, but if you actually stoop down, you see all the mushrooms in their full glory (quoting last year's chemistry lecturer). And of course, there're individual mushrooms here and there. And mushrooms of different shapes and sizes (of course!). It's amazing.

Sadly, the mushrooms disappeared about 2 or 3 days later when the weather got slightly drier. But yeah, this is definitely a wonderful magnum opus, created by Mother Nature herself. Oh well, hopefully such things will come again...

Anyways, here's the mushrooms in their full glory:

View of the mushrooms from a wider perspective...




Focussing on more individual groups of mushrooms, with the rest of 'em in the background...





And back to focussing on the mushrooms in general...



An individual mushroom separated from the rest...it's actually not too far away from the rest...



Another group of mushrooms...



And yet another individual mushroom with its "neighbours" in the background. I think this one was pretty far from the others, but it stood out really well. The next picture shows bigger mushrooms amongst smaller ones.




Nawww...I love this picture!!! Mushrooms growing such that they look as if they're joined to each other...



From short to tall. The brown thingy is actually a leaf.



More mushrooms with grass draping over them.



The next post will probably be about a much smaller mushroom bloom...in a place where I least (and most) expected. This place is a cool and moist place, where people come in and out pretty frequently. Stay tuned!