Powered By Blogger

Saturday, March 05, 2011

Botanic Gardens Orchid Show Part 2

This post has sooooooooooo many flowers!!!!! Orchids, to be more specific.

Anyway here's part 2 of the Botanic Gardens Orchid Show! Believe it or not, I paid only $1 to enter the Orchid Gardens. Student cards really work wonders - I'm so glad I brought my student card back to Singapore. I actually went to the Botanic Gardens around 10am - just after I sent my buddy off at the airport (woke up at 6am on that day!).

Besides taking pictures of the show itself, I explored around the Orchid Gardens a little.

Some of the orchids outside the actual exhibition:




For some reason this reminds me of a fly with pinkish-purple wings...



And now we enter the exhibition proper!

This reminds me of 2 open mouths...or maybe because I'm hungry at the moment...Anyways these are orchids just near the entrance of the exhibition. There weren't many people in the exhibition, but it wasn't a big space, so it was pretty squeezy.



More orchids near the entrance. At this point in time, I remembered having 4 mosquito bites already. Had to endure the itch and attempt to take these pictures. Eventually I gave up and scratched them to relieve some of the itch, before continuing.




Some other orchids...growing in groups of 10 or 11. These were the not-so-exotic ones, but still equally gorgeous.




More orchids - I noticed many purple and white ones around...



Now. Moving on to the more exotic ones.

Spotted orchids in purple and maroon, that do not resemble insects :P For some reason I think some of the orchids resemble insects staring straight into our faces...




Ok here's one that resembles an insect with massive spotted wings.



Rare orchids.

This one has a massive pitcher-shaped thingy in front. Wonder what it contains though. It's fascinating when you see all these unusual orchids growing around the area. I assume these tactics are used in pollination...



More insect-shaped orchids - with curly petals! Yet another pollination tactic, I guess. But I just can't seem to figure out what.



The not-so-insect-like but still unusual orchids...




And of course, testing out different lighting. It was initially cloudy when I stepped into the area, but later on the sky cleared up, and I got this shadowy effect:



Ok - Bach (oops I mean back!) to normal lighting conditions...




We've these orchids growing at home too, and this time they were growing in massive numbers! By massive, I mean 3 or 4 walkways full of them!



And this is roughly how they look like from afar.



Right! That concludes a flowery post! Love taking pictures of flowers - even though I've got hay fever!

Anyway I've got a few more destinations to update you guys on...