Powered By Blogger

Friday, June 01, 2012

The Swan River/David Carr Memorial Park Part 1

Well here I am - taking a break after 3 straight brain-frying days of exam revision!  I thought I might just do a post before I go back to get my brain fried again.  

I took a walk along the Swan River - right in the heart of the city of Perth - and followed the trail to David Carr Memorial Park, which was separated from the river by a one-way, 2-lane road.  I've got pictures of the trail I took - which would be shown in subsequent pictures.

Anyway today's focus is on a gorgeous swan family!




I first spotted the family swimming in the river when I first started my walk - the mother was swimming in front with the father swimming at the back, and there were 4 ducklings.

Well, I dunno if I should call them ducklings, as they were pretty big!  I think they were more like teenage swans or something.  Though they retained their grey colouring.  They all looked pretty alike.  Later I learnt that this family had 7 ducklings instead of 4.  The 4 I saw were strong enough to follow their parents out to the river, while the other 3 were in the David Carr Memorial Park.




The mother swan - who was absolutely gorgeous.  She was so elegant!





So the mother led her kids across the grass...while people cycled past.  I kept trying to take pictures of the family moving to the David Carr Memorial Park.









The dangerous part was when the family started crossing the road.  Note that this road is used by CARS, and there was no traffic light.  Yet the family bravely made it across the road!  The old gentleman in the picture also helped to direct traffic, such that the family made it safely across.

In case you were wondering, the old gentleman also showed me pictures of the children when they first hatched.  They were ADORABLE!  Fluffy, gorgeous, sweet-looking little ducklings!  See how much they've grown now - they're more like teenagers now, but still close to their parents!  Anyway, when cars saw them, they stopped and willingly let them past.  I wonder if this is a common occurrence around this area.





The funny thing was that - Dad did not go with the family and stayed behind in the river!

He was as gorgeous as his wife - and he kept calling out for his wife and children.  I think he eventually worked out where his family was, though he didn't join them straightaway.





I walked to the David Carr Memorial Park shortly after - crossing the same road of course.

Mum at the David Carr Memorial Park, snapping off some grass to eat.






She was also enjoying herself in the lake, and was joined with her children.






Decided to switch to black-and-white to see how it works.  Hmmmm - it worked pretty well!  Anyway the old gentleman featured in a few pictures above was now in the park, and he even fed the family with bread!

Other than that, the family decided to chill out.












Mum stayed near the kids and ensured they were safe.  However, she seemed ok with me.  I was actually standing quite close to her, but she was quite friendly.













Mum looks really pretty against the backdrop of the park.  She didn't really move - she just stood in the same spot and every now and then, she would chase away random ducks who also lived in the same area, to ensure that they didn't harass her kids.

She would occasionally preen her feathers, but other than that she kept close to her kids.









Which is why her kids could enjoy such an awesome nap/rest!






More pictures of the family chilling out on the grass.  The kids slept while Mum kept watch.









Took my last few pictures before heading back onto the trail.  I was not the only one taking pictures - there were joggers and other random people coming close to the family.

Part 2 will be up in the near future!