Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 01, 2012

Sentosa

OK, I put the picture of the Control Tower coz that's the first thing that loomed ahead when I was on the way to the airport, to go to Perth.



Hello from Perth! Whoa it's been a while since I updated! I've been really busy lately with studying and stuff, and 4th-year in psychology is seriously challenging! Other than that, Perth's an awesome place and I'll be doing some more exploring once I actually get my assignments done!

Anyway this post is about one of my last trips to Sentosa with Steph, about a week before I left for Perth.

Lunch at good ol' Kopitiam: Steph's carrot cake and my massive plate of Hokkien Mee. Just to digress a little - I FOUND HOKKIEN MEE IN PERTH! It tastes pretty similar to the one in Singapore (inevitably some differences will show because of the ingredients), and I felt so happy eating it! One of my friends lives near there, and hopefully she and I could meet up again and we could go for another Hokkien Mee feast.

Finding Hokkien Mee in Perth really took away some of the homesickness indeed!



As y'all can see, I obviously ordered a massive plate...and finished it all!




When we first reached Sentosa, we took the Skyride up to the Butterfly Park. It was challenging trying to focus on the butterflies, who were buzzing around excitedly and hopping from flower to flower, and to make matters worse, my telephoto lens COULD NOT AUTO-FOCUS! Like what I always say, I'm just a poor musician and I'll have to save up for a new lens.

Did manage to get good pictures though!








The only thing that freaked me out (a little!) in the butterfly park was a super long, colourful caterpillar with hairs on every segment. He resembled a hairy, colourful annelid. And he was chomping on leaves! He was photogenic though!

Anyway back on the Skyride, down to the beach and to Underwater World!



The view from the Skyride = AWESOME. It makes the beaches look so different - in a good way.



Headed to Underwater World after walking through the beach, and there was a snake charmer right at the entrance! So of course, we took photos:

Snake was pretty photogenic too!



One of the first attractions in Underwater World was the touchpool, where people could reach their hands in and touch the living organisms in there. There were starfish, various types of fishes and so on, and the only rule is that you couldn't lift the animals out of the water.





Apparently some random kid broke the rule...



Not too far away was the eel exhibit. And there was this colourful eel who kept poking his head out of his hideout. Not surprisingly, when I was at the eel exhibit, only one word came to my mind: UNAGI!!!!!



Friendly stingrays were not too far away. They loved coming up to the surface of the water, simply because we could buy a bowl of food to feed them! Mostly raw meat but they loved it! All we had to do is to stick the food in between our fingers, wait for the rays to come up, and when they grab the food, you take your hand out of the water...FAST!

I wasn't too concerned about being bitten or anything...they were just so friendly! Look at how they "smiled" at us! :D Playful and adorable indeed.




And here they are, swimming at the bottom of the pool.




There were also LOTS and LOTS of colourful fish in the coral reef exhibits. And that's where I literally went nuts, snapping pictures of them.









Jellyfish exhibits. There were 2 types of jellyfish. Trust me, it's pretty hard to get good pictures of them, and I was using Manual mode just to make sure the pictures were perfect!







The last attraction we saw after walking through the signature Underwater World tunnel was the dolphin/sealion show. They were amazing as always.







Walked down to the Dragon Trail to have one last picture with the Merlion.



And then we headed back by train.

Would really like to go to the beach in Perth someday...!! Of course I won't want to swim in the sea - too salty, but I'd like to have decent pictures!