Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 30, 2012

Just Dance (Perth International Festival)

I've recently picked up sketching again, in addition to photography. So here's something I did a few days ago:

Apparently being "emo" makes creativity flow sometimes :P Wonder if it's always true though? I was in a rather stormy mood when I did this picture...



Anyway, let's move on to today's topic....

"Just dance, gonna be okay, da da doo-doo-mmmm,
Just dance, spin the record babe, da da doo-doo-mmmm,
Just dance, gonna be okay, d-d-d-dance,
Dance, dance, j-j-just dance..."
Lady Gaga, "Just Dance"



Today's post features the Afrotonics - an African drum and dance troupe, and a random couple who started dancing to one of the bands - Odette Mercy and Her Soul Atomics.

The Afrotonics really reminded me of one of the subjects I took back in my undergraduate days - African Drum and Dance. Although it was pretty hard keeping up with the various polyrhythms, I enjoyed it nevertheless! The Afrotonics themselves were inspired by mainly Ghanean, Senegalese and Guinean music. Check out their link here.




What I really like about the Afrotonics was their spontaneity. They always had a smile on their faces, and they often attempted to engage their audiences (aka us). Oh and I snapped a picture of Dan getting a shot of the dancers... :P oops...!!





One of the dances involved soloists, so some of the girls did their own solo moves...





And of course, they stopped for drinks every now and then. Their dance moves were really, really vigourous! I remembered being totally dead beat after a session of African drum and dance during my undergrad days - these ladies must have lots of stamina or something!



And at the end of their performance, they were conversing amongst each other while packing up.




The second dance group featured today involves a spontaneous, random couple sitting amongst the audience during the performance of Odette Mercy and Her Soul Atomics. They just stood up during one of the songs and started dancing. Well...the lady did her solo first, and then her partner joined in.






The band was pretty impressed by their performance and got them to come on stage for a "dance off".

This was the less intense, more random first round...




And this was during the second round. Now, it looks like the dude's trying to kick the singer, but NO, HE IS NOT. He was just doing his dance routine, and he landed up in mid-air :P



His female partner didn't attempt any "flying kicks", which was fortunate.



The couple was applauded after that, and they just ran back to their seats! Minutes later, they were gone. I guess they went to celebrate St Patrick's day - which was coincidentally on the same day as the festival itself. There were many people dressed in St Patrick's hats and colours...and even I coincidentally had shades of green on myself!



That concludes part 2 of our Perth International Festival series! I'll be putting up the 3rd installment soon!

Till then, back to the WAIS-IV assignment.