Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, May 02, 2012

London Court

I thought I'd better do another post before things get busy again...I'm glad assignments are already out of the way, now I'm left with revision for exams.  Wait a minute...EXAMS??  *plays Beethoven's Symphony No.5*

Anyway here's a post on London Court, one of the famous shopping areas in Perth.  It's situated along the Hay Street shopping belt, and it's really prominent.  You'll see why in later pictures.




London Court was conceptualised in 1937, and is a major tourist attraction in Perth.  The facade is mostly Elizabethan/Tudor-inspired, to give an impression of being in 16th-century London (aka Elizabethan times).  On one end (the Hay Street mall end) - there's a statue of Dick Whittington and his cat, and on the other and stands Sir Walter Raleigh.  And of course - the famous clock with jousting knights on one end and St George and the dragon on the other end.




The most striking thing about the clock was the message below it: "No minute gone comes ever back again.  Take heed and see ye nothing do in vain".




Walking through the Hay Street entrance, into London Court.  The other end is similar, except that there're different shops.




I was situated mostly at the end with Dick Whittington and his cat.




And this is what I mean by Tudor-inspired architecture...even the shop signs were written in special fonts that were representative of that era!






There were baskets of flowers hanging at almost every shop, and of course, here're some pictures of a general view of the shopping area.







I was actually debating on whether I should go in and try the food in London Court cafe, but I already had lunch before I set off, so in the end I decided not to.  Besides, I was on a tight budget that day, and had to get gifts for a friend.  So I decided to resist the temptation of binging some more - and stayed outside to take pictures instead.

I'll definitely go back to London Court one day - just to try some food at the cafe.








View from London Court cafe, towards the other end, where there was a Swiss clock-making/watch-making shop, a sweets shop (the owner was from Wales), a jewellery shop (from what I remember) and some others.





This is the sweets shop I visited - the Sweets of London.  Bought some butterscotch for my friend for his birthday - and what fascinated me most was the cartoon on the box - it was really funny!  I think he still has the box.  Oh, and you could catch a glimpse of the owner inside!




The jewellery shop - Costello's.  And that leads out to the other end of London Court.






Walked around some more and decided to take another shot of the cafe.




I had some spare cash then, and decided to pop by the Chocolatier along the way.  Bought some high-quality milk chocolate...and finished it within a week!  It wasn't a very big packet to be honest, but it was SOOOOOO good!!  I'd definitely go back for more!  I actually went back last Sunday to check if they were open - unfortunately they weren't.  So I'd have to make another trip I guess?




More snippets of London Court before I decided to call it a day.







And back out onto Hay Street mall.




This is what I mean - London Court's so famous that people are constantly taking pictures of it, and in front of it.  And the whole facade just stands out amongst the buildings!  It's like a building in the 1500s being plonked amongst buildings built in the 1800s or later...




Walked around Hay Street for a bit, and enjoyed some music from a busker.  He was such a good guitarist!   Unfortunately I was short of cash, but he insisted that I should take a CD of his.  I've yet to see him again, but when I see him, I'll have to give him more loose change...





Headed back to William Street, before entering the Perth Underground station, to head back.






And while waiting for the bus, I mucked around a little.



And that's the end of the first trip to London Court!  All taken in black-and-white, using the 11-18mm wide angle lens.  I did another London Court trip the other day (the day where I realised the chocolate shop was closed), and decided not to use monochrome.

On a side note - I found this gorgeous pendant in uni!  So appropriate for me...besides the multiple music merchandises I've bought so far.





Right now I'm craving for some good fried rice!  I've not cooked fried rice for quite a while.  Well - fried rice requires quite a lot of time to prepare.  The rice has to be made beforehand, and of course, the ingredients have to be prepared, especially because I put LOTS of ingredients.  I've been eating lots of stir-fried udon (own recipe), but not fried rice.




Also went to the Margaret River chocolate factory one of the weekends - with my flatmate.  It wasn't situated in the Margaret River area - it was in Midlands, near the airport.  Nevertheless, I came back with LOTS of chocolate.  This should last for a while...






And of course at the factory, I had a nice time tasting chocolate.  I deliberately skipped lunch just to taste chocolate...and later on ate something of course!






I'm also glad that my postcards were delivered smoothly too!  I've yet to post the Mandurah pictures, but will do so in the near future.





And I guess that's it for random musings.  Will be back with more pictures!  I think I've got quite a fair bit to cover - Fremantle Street Arts festival, Multicultural Day in uni, Mandurah......the list seems to get longer!