Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Art Adrift! Part 1 (The "Global" Perspective)

So here I am - in my favourite place in Western Australia - Fremantle. I have been going to Fremantle every weekend without fail, for the past few weeks. But I definitely had lots of good reasons to do so.

I should also mention that we continued to have wonderful sunny weather...and these purple flowers outside the Norfolk Hotel and Bar (near the Fremantle Markets) looked absolutely gorgeous amidst the light blue skies. The whole tree is just filled with these flowers...it is such a lovely sight!





Al fresco dining as usual outside The Monk...many people were enjoying the warm weather with cold drinks.






Hung around at the Kidogo Arthouse and Bather's Beach for a while too, just to enjoy the warm weather. The weather actually took some time to warm up - it was chilly throughout September and half of October, but once it warmed up, I was so delighted that I spent nearly all my weekends outdoors! I am now very brown (I tan very, very easily despite the huge amounts of sunscreen I slap on each time, but I hardly get burnt)...but so happy. 

The Kidogo Arthouse was originally used as a kerosene store. But it has now been converted into this amazing centre for art! I really love their art exhibitions!!






Best part about this month? The Art Adrift exhibition!!!

The Art Adrift exhibition is a dynamic, creative and absolutely innovative exhibition - which was made possible through the collaboration of three amazingly talented artists (Sandy McKendrick, Emma Washer and Cara Ratajczak). The exhibition has been inspired mainly by the sea. As such, the materials collected are really strongly linked to sea life and the fishing/boating industry. These materials included buoys, nets, flip-flops, rope and discarded fishing tackle...to create gorgeous floating sculptures that moved along with the tide, in the Fishing Boat Harbour.

When I went to the Fishing Boat Harbour, I spotted all these amazing sculptures in the water, and just HAD to take pics of them! They were so symmetrical, so intricate...and just perfect. Here're some pics of the sculptures near Cicerello's Landing...









And more were near the Mussel Bar, on the way to the Dufyken replica. All of them were amazing! And the sun really accentuated the colours of the materials!












When I was at the Mussel Bar - I spotted some reflections on the window - so here they are!






Potted plant outside the Little Creatures Brewery - a place I enjoy to visit...for the food and alcohol!




Of course, I spent some time taking pics of the fishermen sculptures along the Fishing Boat Harbour. I'll be posting close-up pics of the amazing sculptures in the next couple of posts...









The first time I went to the Art Adrift exhibition, there were some musicians performing and moving around. Here's one of them - with purple lipstick and her ukulele. I'd like to try playing the ukulele someday.





Ended the day by going to Bather's Beach for another epic sunset. But this time I went a tad too early...so I had some time to take pics of the gorgeous clouds. Check out this perfect arch by the clouds!




There was this girl who kept going closer and closer to the waves...but when she realised that the waves got stronger, she just turned around...and bolted away! So cute!




Another girl - an older one - was more interested in letting her long cape billow above the crashing waves. I think she was doing a photoshoot or something.




Spotted this cargo ship sailing slowly out into the open sea too. It was massive! And it was illuminated by the setting sun - which made it look orangey-yellow.





Mandatory sunset and epic cloudscape pictures! We had epic clouds that day - so the sunset was amazing. Sunsets are always amazing anyway...but clouds can make a big difference.














Ending off this post with a pic of my new arm candy! Two new handmade bracelets by an Italian dude who set up his stall at the Fishing Boat Harbour. He had all his masterpieces laid out on a mat, and I chose these two. Now that I've gotten these two, I really feel that I should buy some for my friend - who loves handmade bracelets too!

Now I feel like I should start doing my own handmade bracelets...like what I used to do during the winter break. I haven't made a bracelet in ages!




Do stay tuned for some close-up pics of the Art Adrift sculptures!